www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Technical Chat

Speed controler info
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

It was only the DHL order I got hit with GST and a csutoms fee, My RS80D came USPS Express who didnt hit me with anything on a $1200 order, and ended up arriving in about the same time frame. The reason mine was so much was because of the low exchange rate and because the robot marketplace didnt have a sale on at the time.

ffej.net

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Geez, all these ESC's seem really touchy... i only want to buy one for most of my future bots... including lightweights... which one?! i'm prepared to pay $420 for the RS80D, but if it blows up, or gets damaged, the repair costs would be really big, but if i got the IBC, i wouldn't be able to run high current motors, and it would most definitly have problems if a motor stalled...
Smile what are my options?
Also, jeff, have you had any problems with your RS80D in singularity? I saw a picture of you actualy riding it, so i'm taking that the ESC is pretty beefy! Very Happy

Thanks

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:55 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Id go with an rs80 personnaly.

Just make sure all wires and connectors are firmly connected and ask the parcel to be market toy robot parts.

Singularity in one fight had massive amounts of smoke coming from 1 or 2 motors and still kept driving around with them totally fried and as far as i know it didnt hurt the controller and you could never do that with an ibc.

For the extra $150 abouts more then an ibc the extra fetures and reliability or worth it and you can go bigger motors and biger bots.

Last edited by timmeh on Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:29 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

yeah, that was last comp. Forgot about that, and he wasn't even worried about the ESC... i'll start saving... Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:31 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Well thats what ill be buying when i build a middle weight.

Was going to buy one for my light weight untill i decided to use scooter motors and will insted use my victors.

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:33 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

lol yeah and the power wires on the rs80 where all melted Smile , theres other speed control options too... like vantecs and the ALMIGHTY GOD OF CONTROLLERS - THE ROBOTEQ

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Use bigger gage wire then.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:46 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

Number one ranking team Rotwang are 100% IBC powered, with zero failures Wink

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:29 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I think if you had 50 robots with ibc's and 50 robots with rs80 ill bet the rs80's go better.

Allmost all the aus bots have ibc's so your bound to have a top ranking robot with an ibc.

Baring in mind dyrodium want to use his controller in larger bots as well.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:51 pm 
andrew

agreed thar,

saying "mini mower uses IBC and came first etc etc is all well and good BUT thats caus everybody minus maybe a odd few people use the IBC controllers.

Id rather a RS80D as from what ive seen there a life saver, i coudl ride singularity without jeff even stressing about something blowing up even.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:09 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

ROBOTEQ = uber!

Though they did have a little problem at one stage with the 48v Lem130 motors creating 200+v back spikes during braking was killing the fets Shocked but they have resolved that now.

RS80 looks good, but I want to see how much they can take first before rushing out and buying one.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:16 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

quote:
Originally posted by CELL DAMAGE!:
I think if you had 50 robots with ibc's and 50 robots with rs80 ill bet the rs80's go better.

What makes a heavier more expensive and bigger alternative better when we have had zero failures with the IBC?

Theres an old saying, It's a bad workman who blaims his tools .

You have wired the IBC up wrong before blowing it up, reconsider what the problem is because I can say its not the IBC. Wink

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:43 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

True, the IBC makes a very good speed control for feather and lightweights, but what's the problem with having a little heavier speed control that you can use in almost all bots you build? Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:49 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Lets not turn this into "Which is better - an RS80 or an IBC ?" Thread. That wasnt my intention when I had my little boast.. Confused

The RS80 is a very good controller. Its basically an upscale IBC anyway (OSMC based) with twice the number of fets, the later version (v2) of the uMob controller and current limiting added.

Its also ~$150 more expensive, much bigger and heavier than an IBC, has to come from America, and isnt "open-source", so if you need to fix it locally yourself, forget about getting the circuit diagrams or parts.

Still, if I was building a lightweight or heavier bot with high current motors, I'd quite likely buy one, because (to use a marketing phrase) it is the best controller in its class that I know of.

The IBC just happens to be in a totally different class - it was originally designed to power a hobbyweight (The 6kg "Flying Saucer") and hence was designed to be as small, light and simple as possible , and proved to be just fine for most featherweights as well..

The RS80 was deliberately designed by David Moeller (one of the OSMC developers) to be an IBC-like controller aimed at the light and middle weight robots, so it being bigger and heavier didnt matter, and current limiting was feasible in the price range it was aimed at.

Saying things like "an RS80 powered powered bot would go better than an IBC powered bot" is stupid..

If the IBC is used in the area it is designed for (2WD and some 4WD Featherweights), then in actual fact, all other things being equal, an RS80 powered bot would go *worse*, because more of its weight and size would be used up by the controller, leaving less for other things in the bot like batteries, motors etc.

If you want more powerful motors, 6WD, a bigger or heavier bot, or some other feature that justifies spending the extra cost, weight and size, then the RS80 is definitely the way to go.

But using a bigger controller than you need in a feather weight bot is stupid because you are just wasting weight points and space.

So can we stop with the comparing apples and oranges ? They complement each other in different areas, not compete against each other.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Yes i didnt mean that a robot with a rs80 would go better i ment that with 50 of each controlers in bots the rs80 would blow up or whatever allot less if any then an ibc.

Allso im not baging the ibc here im just saying if he wants a controller to use in bigger bots then an ibc will not do and am suggesting an rs80.

Post Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:09 pm