www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

full metal challenge
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

With the amount of time i spend flying helicopters in battlefield desert combat, i dont think it would be too hard lol! Very Happy (it was hell to learn though, as the desert combat mod uses real helicopter flight and control, unlike battlefield vietnam, which is completly fake and CRAP! Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:22 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

get a copy of microsoft flight simulator and try fly the bell jet ranger, freaking nigh on impossible to hover... and while your at it try flying an antonov 24 non stop from bankstown to broome at night with only VOR/NDB navigation (the panel being in russian didnt help lol).

gyrocopters? you just gun the engine and fly it like a normal plane as is my understanding..

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, i think they use a rotor blade only for lift, instead of a wing in standard planes. I wish i had one! Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:35 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Gyrocopters are very easy to fly.. *but*
Dont ever make the mistake of thinking that are easy to *learn* to fly..

Despite their apparent simplicity, they have handling characteristics unlike either a normal plane, OR a helicopter.. they fly on totally different aerodynamic principles to either one, and quite a few highly experienced fixed and rotary wing pilots have made the fatal mistake of assuming that they can be flown without training..

A bicycle is equally as simple a machine, and as-easy-as to ride.. *once you know how*. Remember how often you fell-off learning though ? The problem with aircraft is, you cant afford to "fall off" even once and live to talk about it.

For the first 10 hours or so of training, I was convinced the things were uncontrollable.. I had flown a Cessna 152 with no trouble, had plenty of hours on Flight Sims and knew all the aerodynamic theory I thought I needed to, yet whenever the instructor handed the machine over to me, I wobbled all over the sky like a drunk dolphin.

Finally, after about 15 hours of training, I started to get the "feel" of it, and by 20, I had it Nobody "gets it" in less than 10 hours that I know of, so dont ever just get in one and gun the engine.. IF you manage to get off the ground, it wont be for long, I can guarrantee it..

Then you get to find out about two of a pilots sayings...

1. Take-off is optional, Landing is Mandatory.
2. In every fight between an Aircraft and the ground.. the Ground always wins..

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

gravity never has a day off either Wink

my first go in a 152 was wierd, those things almost fly themselves once there trimmed. youd almost have to fly it into the ground to crash it hehe.

my first ride in a helicopter however is definitely a wierder experience, the way a helicopter turns just feels so much different to a plane, it feels like its "falling" into a turn if thats any form of description Confused

what made you get into gyros anyway brett? ive always wanted to buy a microlight replica of a BF-109 for $16,000. cmon damn thats cheap for a plane! and it looks cool as well Cool

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:17 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Mad Max 2

I wanted one ever since I saw Bruce Spence hooning about the sky dropping snakes on people.. Laughing

It took me ages to find them (there are only a few hundred in the whole of Australia), and I started in the early days of the public internet (before the WWW took off, it was all email and newsgroups, so finding stuff wasnt as easy as it is now), then about another 12-18 months to build one and do my training..

Then I flew it for 5 years or so, and eventually sold it because you arent allowed to fly them anywhere near suburbia, so I had to go for a drive for 1.5hrs to get to where I kept it hangared every time I wanted to fly, so eventually I flew it less and less and sold it when I hadnt flown it for nearly 12 months. I'd like to build another one if ever move out into the countryside where you can keep it and fly it from your back yard.

They're wicked fun.. If you'd like to read more about what I had to say about them in 1994, heres a link to a post I made to the rec.aviation.homebuilt newsgroup back then.. http://www3.sympatico.ca/j.ednie/gyrohtml/augyrointro/auindex.html

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:11 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

LOL in regard to that jump start thing, has anyone managed to do that? sounds a bit unlikely to me that you could accelerate to flying speed in a few seconds.

oh yeah and ill look out for the crazy man with the snake dropping gyro next time im out in the melbourne country side Laughing

on a side note anyone ever seen a slepchev storch in action? those things are amazing. take off roll within in their own length and they can hover in a 10 knot or so headwind, looks fantastic to see a plane hovering Smile you gotta love those trusty ww2 german planes dont you... (especially the salamander... = w00t).

i should probably open up a new thread Cool

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:52 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

16k for a plane is pretty cheap
got pics?
i'll get a spitfire and then i shall own you just like at TA ;->

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Sweden were selling off the last of their Mirage 2 Fighter Jets early last year for only $2500 AUD because they had no use for them any more. They came ready to fly, minus weapon systems and the military components onboard, and of course, no fuel.....

Wish I could have had the money to get one just for the gas turbine.

If I had the training, qualifications & money, I would buy a Russian S37 Sukoi Fighter. I love the Delta wing design and the rare VTOL ability Smile

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:37 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

that 2500 or 25000?
2500 i'd have baught one.

thing with turbines (and all aircraft) is the maintenence
every hundred hours you have to pull the whole smegging thing apart and get the shafts checked for cracks n stuff.

microlights are exempt from alot of that sorta stuff which makes them pretty attractive to me.

bugger they limit the wing loading by the look of things
there goes my supercharged diahatsu engine running a ducted fan and making the meanest damn microlight ever.

inspector : those fuel lines run awefull close to the fan exhaust, infact they seem to loop around it and be attached to it?
Owner : its to ahhh "pre chill" the fuel before it goes into the engine, yeah thats it.
inspector : and the spark plug?

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

From what I heard on Triple J about it, it was 2500. They were talking about how some people can't even buy a car for 2500 these days, but you can buy a fighter jet from another country for less.

Post Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:16 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

yeah like when Eretria (spelling?) buys 30 sukhoi 27s lol.

the micro was at the port macquarie airshow, and ive also seen a similar sized version of a spitfire, they really fly pretty hard too, you know we should pool up the $$$ for $32,000 and then i can indeed induce huge PWOWNAGE on your a55 Cool ACHTUNG?!

sweden used mirages? i thought they only hap gripen and viggens. (viggens are such a funky lookin plane)

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:09 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

How many $$$ in $32,000 Glen Razz

mmmm....... Sukhoi S37......

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:18 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
How many $$$ in $32,000 Glen

heh cant remember the number but theres a two seater version of the su-27 thats basically a soviet knockoff of the F-111. very kewl

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:24 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Well the S-37 was a test type rumoured to be based on the US X-29. I'm interested in seeing what the final production model of the S-47 turns out to be like Razz

Also, just doing some googling and you seem to be right, I cannot find anything about Sweden using any Mirage II fighters jet. The Mirage is French made, so maybe it was France selling the old vintage Mk II's to make room for more Mirage 2000.

I swear they said Sweden on the radio... oh well. my bad.

Post Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:33 pm