RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Car Audio Tech Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Author    Thread
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:
I've just acquired my Nissan Silvia, a stock sound system came with it, minus the new 50w 2way 6inch speakers in the parcel shelf and the pioneer CD player. I want to upgrade to something that doesn't distort at just over half volume

The front speakers are usually dead, which is the source of the distortion I bet.
The cone surrounds fall apart with age, and they're only pretty low powered speakers to begin with.
If you remove the door trims you can unscrew the speakers (mounted in big plastic mounts) and then make up some thin plywood or mdf plates that will screw into the same holes and leave enough space for a set of 6.5" speakers, which then sit very neatly behind the factory grilles on the door trims.
You can put tweeters higher up on the door trims, or sit them on the small flat section of the dash next to the A pillar on each side, reflecting the sound off the windscreen.

quote:
So you had a sla between a power supply and left it on all the time or just turned it on when you used it?

Yep, just in parallel with the power supply.
I usually turned the supply off if I wasn't going to be using it for a while, to prevent the battery from being cooked.

Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:
a stock sound system came with it, I want to upgrade to something that doesn't distort at just over half volume...
Any suggestions that will just bolt in fairly easy that doesn't cost a bomb

If you're not fussed about it not *looking* like a car-audio system, then the best value for money in audio that I know these days is without a doubt - Computer Speakers. Seriously. a friend of mine just put a set in each room of his house and one on the back porch and run them all back to a common line out from his PC. Instant all-over-the-house for ~$70/room.

Then you just need a basic head-unit with a line-ouput

For around $100, you get a killer 5.1 surround system with built-in amp, sub-woofer and enough watts and quality to keep anyone not trying to rattle the car next to them's number plates. Go the logitech-ones (for a few $ more) and they usually look quite hi-tech as well. Might suit a Silvia quite well if you choose the right model

You would need to check a few of them out and find a set that run from a 12v DC plugpack (quite a few of them do) so you can run it off the car's 12v power, and screw the little sattelite speakers to the parcel-shelf, stuff the sub under a seat or on the floor in the back or something.

Its a bit heath-robinson-ish and will probably require some tweaking and ingenuity to fit nicely, but if you can get them running from car-power you wont find anything that offers that price/performance ratio in normal car audio.

Anyone see any problems with that idea ?

Post Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

When you actually put those things into the car I don't think the power output will be high enough.
There's an amazing amount of background noise (especially low frequency) in a car, and even speakers that sound really powerful in a nice quiet house tend to be pretty underpowered in a car.

Also, any of the decent computer speakers will need more than 12v to run.

The best amps you'll generally find (from a power / size / cost point of view) are the ones found in head units. They're typically pretty powerful, and have the DC-DC converter built in.
A good set of speakers on a decent head unit is a pretty good setup for the average car, and I'd recommend a set of 6.5" splits in the front, and either the same thing in the back or a pair of 6x9s with a custom parcel tray to suit.
The Jaycar Re/Sponse spakers are probably the best value for the sound quality you get, but they're still fairly expensive.

One thing I've noticed too with the computer speakers is that while they sound good at first listen, they're pretty peaky in their frequency response.

I find that anything with a sub and separate satellite speakers tends to sound good on some music, and terrible on other music. They have heaps of bass (over a narrow range) and heaps of top end, but the midrange is never super clear due to the small speakers, and the bass response is limited when it comes to producing anything other than a punch or rumble.
Actual notes tend to fall in and out of its capabilities.

Post Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

I checked out the full specs of what stock in my Silvia. I have 4 x 24watt channels on the Pioneer head unit, stock Silvia 9 x 6's in the front doors and a pair of 6.5 Kenwood 150watt speakers (PMPO I think).

I was thinking of putting this setup in:
500watt amp (Not sure what brand)
400-600watt 8-10inch Subwoofer (Probably Pioneer)
150watt pair of 6 x 9's (Pioneer, maybe....)

Will shift the 6.5's out of the parcel shelf and mount them in the front where the 6 x 9's are currently sitting. Mount the new 6 x 9's in the parcel self one on each side and the sub woofer in the middle of them.

Post Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:22 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Standard Silvia front speakers are not 6x9s... If they are 6x9s in there they're certainly not standard!

Personally I'd go Re/Sponse 6.5" all round, running from the head unit, and then add a sub if you really feel it's necessary, running from its own amp.

Post Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:31 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Hey Aaron, finally got the car, congrats. now just focus on not wrapping it round a pole as many end up. lol.
Took a pic for you of the panel I made for my subs but not sure where to post it as its not really robots.
Anyways let me know if you want me to email it to you or something.
I also think Dumheds comments are very valid and worth consideration.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:30 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

It would be nice if you could send me the picture George. I had a good look and it's not a pair of 6 x 9's in the front. They are actually 6.5's but have an extended grill which makes it look like a 6 x 9 Embarassed

I think the idea of going 4 x 6.5's is a great idea. It will be way cheaper because I don't need a Sub or Amp and with that money saving, I can buy higher quality 6.5's. I also realised that at 4500-5000+rpm my sports exhaust makes a deafening drone that most Subs will have trouble competing with Razz

I'll try not to wrap it around a tree George, I'm currently venting my racing instinct at the local Motokhana events on the skid pans. So heres to keeping the girl in one, straight, driveable piece Very Happy

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:30 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Yes the extended grill, lol.
Something of interest for you.
Found a paper template I used to cut the panels of wood for the door so that might save u some time if u where going to mount the speakers on wood before placing on the doors.
Think I did it also because it brings the speaker magnets away from the door skin where they might touch.
Also found a pic of a factory option silvia subwoofer, its what I got the idea to do mine from. You will laugh when u see it, its so dated and looks like something out of Lost in space.
Anyways have 2 jpegs for u when u want them.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:44 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Email them to knightrousoxide at gmail dot com (<--- In anti-spam format)

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:13 pm 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

check your email

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:55 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Thanks for the photos George. They will prove very useful when I get around to doing the sound system Cool Currently the first project is to get some better tires on it and a service.

Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:57 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Okay, I'm lost in the void of sound system brands.

I'm against Sony's, never heard a good thing about them. I have a few mates with Pioneers that sound okay. The cheapy Kenwoods I have sound pretty shatful and the ones Andrew (Dumhed) suggested ( Re/Sponse ) which I've never heard of.

I'm also looking at some specs flying around. I know PMPO is a shatful way to measure speakers, RMS is better. I know my Pioneer head unit has 4 x 25watt(PMPO or RMS?) channels. I looked at some of the stock, cheap 3-way 6.5 Pioneers and they were 160w PMPO 35w nominal. Would that damage my head unit being only 25watt per channel?

I'm going to have arough budget of $250 to spend on this sound upgrade, so anyone who has some sound experince with 6.5's and know of some decent cheapies, I'm all ears! So George, Brett, Andrew, anyone! Give me what you got Razz

EDIT: Forgot about Alpine too, I see they have some nice 'looking' 6.5's, but are they worth the money or just more showy hype?

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:17 am 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

There is nothing wrong with looking at 6.5" and calling it 9".

The main test with car audio is to listen to it. The specs may give you a guide, but you should definately take a piece of music you know from system to system and listen to how full the sound is.

As stated above, the box surounding the speakers is important. You may notice that the total harmonic distortion THD will be quoted with a given volume of speaker box.

The very best units I have heard don't sound like they are loud. You can feel the vibrations of the bass in your chest and the high frequencies are pure enough to breath, but you don't realise that it is loud until you try to talk and you cannot hear yourself.

I am too old for all of that now. I just keep the standard unit.

Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:22 pm 
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

I have a responce amp 2x150watts

I have a sont sub and two 3way sony speakers hooked up its hooked to a 37amp hawker and 8amp charger to keep it topped up.

Now yes i have a fuse and the amp has fuses on it too but my question is should it be getting hot enoughf so i cant touch it for any longer then about 2 full seconds when its only turned up a little under a qaurter of the way?

The sub is bridged and the speakers are hooked up as normal so all outputs are being used and it dose say it is ok in the book as it has a diagram of it hooked up like that but im getting worryed at how hot it has gotten and if its getting that hot at the volume its on now when i turn it up full for the sub when its in my car im scared its gonna explode into flames or something.

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:53 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

hmm it shouldn't really get that hot.

maybe try setting it up as simple as possible first (two speakers, one battery supply) and test it out a bit. Then you can add the extra bits and see what it does.

Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:39 am