RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Getting Robot Combat to the Masses...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Getting Robot Combat to the Masses...

There's been a small thought tingling in my mind recently... here it is;
The other day at my school it was international day (yay no work!), and this year's theme of the day was "designing our world". Anyway moving on they had some design comp where you had to invent something that might help in the future for a sustainable environment... you could win an ipod shuffle so i entered my halfassed entry of my BEAM robot, claiming that the "real thing" could detect poisons an crap... ANYWAY... my point is that there was this yr 6 kid who i met and had this little anphibious boat toy... it was a clean meat tray (what you buy meat in) that had two servos and a battery pack and what ever, he'd wired it all up into this makeshift fan powered boat/car, the fan being activated by servo-touches-wire and steering by making it out of knex and attaching it to the other servo and it worked quite well. I was quite frankly amazed how much this kid reminded me of myself alittle older... and was just about to tell him about robowars when he ran off!!! Mad How can we let these people (i'm sure there's alot) know that there actualy is a robot comp happening in australia?

lol, ok got that of my chest! Very Happy But seriously, do we want to keep it very small for some lucky person once and a while to stumble across the site or should we post up some flyers? If you like i could post up an ad on my schools notice board. Smile Thanks for reading!

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:10 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

This site is very important to roboteering in Oz. I often think how lucky we are to have this site generously provided by Brett and Mel.

Event organisers that provide venues for us to play with our robots are indispensible to our sport. We would have nothing to take to the masses without these people.

Word of mouth is one of the most effective form of advertising. We should tell people in our peer groups. I like to talk about robot combat to people I regularly contact through work, people who I meet through social clubs like Big Guns and particularly people who sell me parts for Marauder.

Encouragement given to new builders from experienced roboteers will help to increase the sport. I nearly gave up a few times in the early days. Aaron's enthusiam for the sport through emails and on msn keep me going until I finished my first robot.

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:07 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
often think how lucky we are to have this site generously provided by Brett and Mel.

lets not forget the work lachlan and mark put in to make the abbl / arwo (damn thats a while ago) site happen at the start...

im of the persuasion that people shouldnt be bought into the sport kicking and screaming.. if people want to get into the sport its not hard to find on the net, although it would be nice if google turned up more results.

i.e. typing in robot wars into google aus and nothing about robowars comes up in the first page... same with battlebots. id assume thats the first thing people would type in when looking for that stuff.

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Yes Mark was tops. I don't remember Lachlan.

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:11 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yes, word of mouth does have a big effect, but i also think displays (like that recent one) are a more "up front" way of letting people know. Hell, when i caught the train to blacktown with cataclysm, a fair few people were interested in it (ALOT of stares) and when i displayed it at school people thought it was very impressive. Still... is there any objection to me putting up an information article at achool? I'd quite like to and my science teacher is encouraging me. Smile

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:43 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Go for it, dyrodium. All publicity is good. Please don't feel like you have to ask anyone to be able to do anything Aussie robot combat is egalitarian, thank goodness.

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:20 am 
chrisjon65
Experienced Roboteer

Very Happy thats true ,i agree if you want to put something up at school go for it ,but just let them know how to get in contact with us
but most important dont tell them about jolt, planb or orbit lol Wink

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:31 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

lol, no problem! Very Happy
I'll see what i can whack up, (our school now has an awsome colour printer!). Now.. which bot should i feature? Very Happy

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:38 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Feature some nice action shots. Ones with some brilliant sparks and and robots flying or being rammed! Action is louder then words Razz

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:04 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah for sure! Very Happy Does anyone have some high quality action shots? If not all i've got to work with is either video stills or out of fight photos. Confused

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:19 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

chris has one of sorry burrying its saw into the ground with sparks going everywhere

Post Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Brett, did you make a flier for one of your events? If so, do you still have a pdf available? Does anyone else have printable promo material? I would like to take something with me to give to the boat guys on Sunday.

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:27 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

ive got one from the original robowars and the engineer meeting and robowars 2 IIRC, ill scan them in for you tommorow if brett hasnt got the files anymore.

IIRC he posted one up in one of the victorian event threads...

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:27 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I just went through the Vic events and could not see it. That doesn't mean it isn't there. I am a guy. I can't find anything.

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:43 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Try here for some of the older info ect http://www.robowars.org/info-news.html

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:50 pm