Experienced Roboteer

ROFLXD apple got pwnd. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:05 pm 
Rotwang
Experienced Roboteer

Either that or they think Apple is on a roll and it’s worth cloning them. So that’s yes from Brett, Yes from China, Yes from me, anyone else? Smile

Post Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:04 pm 
WiperMotor

XD Now apple is in a court battle with CISCO systems because the allready had the iPone Laughing (Voip Gizmo)

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:59 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

http://www.ipodlinux.org/Main_Page

Best thing you can do to an iPod yet! Cool

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:36 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/79728/index.html

Glad I've moved to Linux.... Shocked

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:08 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Yup, thats the Microsoft I was ranting and raving about over in that I.E. only website Thread.

Perhaps one day people will listen to "Freedom First" types of people without scoffing, but historically, they will probably wait until the cell door is slamming shut on *them* before doing so.

I'm reminded of a quote I read somewhere about the difference between workers and bosses.

Workers try to get ahead in life by climbing the corporate/career ladder.
Bosses build and own the ladders, then turn them into wheels with no exit, and guess what the "climber" looks like then ?

Guess what Microsoft is trying to do with their operating system ?

Its quite funny talking to MSCE's and other breeds of Pro-Microsofties.. they genuinely believe that Microsoft wants to help them succeed in life.

To which I say "Of course they do.. as long as you pay the price for their help first" - no different to any business, except that their flagship O/S price now exceeds the cost of the actual computer hardware in most cases, AND they then want to also control the media channels that the O/S can access so they can make even more money off that

Imagine if someone offered to come and fit a new 3D GUI Interface letterbox to your house. It will only cost you $750, oh, and you will have to upgrade your driveway to a top model purchased within the last year or so, and then it will only accept newspapers and information from our friends/partners over at "Big Media Inc". And if we even suspect that you might not have been paying your ahem "Subscription Fees" than your letterbox will stop working until you re-authorise it with us.

Wake up guys.. They want to own the road your digital life runs on.

Dont even think about Vista unless you prefer the Vista 3D view from the software equivalent of a jail cell window.

{ok, I'll stop ranting, before Philip spoons me again} Razz

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

meh, just keep using old windows if you need windows based stuff, and by the time you need newer stuff someone will have made it for Linux and we can all live in a new Penguin ruled world!

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

I'm going to buy Vista Ultimate from MSY for $280, for the sole purpose of learning it because others will end up buying it and I'll probably have to work on a system with Vista on it... I have learnt to use every other windows operating system, so to make a bit of pocket change, I'll learn this one too...

I'm living in the world ruled by Penguins... It's fun Very Happy I just VM Ware WinXP when I need it (Rhino3D/SolidWerx 2007)... When I get a C2D processor, I'll look into something like Xen Cool

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:00 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Thats it.

I'm not suggesting everyone dump Windows XP tomorrow and rush to Linux.

Windows XP is quite a good OS with only minimal restrictions on your operations. It was designed over 5 years ago when Microsoft used to think that making cars to take people wherever they want to go was a good business.

Now they have changed their tune and want to own the roads as well, and make cars that will only travel on their roads, and build roads that will not allow other makers cars to run on them. A closed Theme Park like Disney World is what they have in mind.

If you run Windows, Stick with your current car (Windows XP most likely), ignore the "ooh, pretty Vista" upgrade hype and in your spare time start learning to drive the freedom car (its not *that* different) that does what *you* tell it to do, so that when its time to go to a new one, you will have the power of choice on your side.

If you choose to remain only capable of driving an automatic, dont complain when your "automatic" OS will only take you where *they* want you to go.

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Microsoft - Where we want you to go today (and you'll goddamn like it or else!)

On a slightly amusing note, I was trying to remember if I've ever paid money for Windows Razz
It's amazing how many times you can install the corporate edition (no activation required Smile)

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

I bought XP with my old system, simply because it was brand new, I hated 98 like the plague and I didn't want to have to put up with the issues associated with the early "pirate" editions (Some were missing driver support for various things and were quite often buggy).

One big thing I did notice with Vista is that they dumped Open GL... Now, IIRC, Open GL is what most CAD programs use... So to not be able to do CAD work in Vista until you get "Vista" approved and support CAD software revision is gonna suck!

Lol... Also got this funny picture I took from a Laptop at DSE running Vista (Mate of mine works at DSE and hasn't sold a single Vista copy since release...)

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:11 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
{ok, I'll stop ranting, before Philip spoons me again} Razz
On your side, big fella. Lets spoon.

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:37 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

from solidworks
http://www.solidworks.com/pages/products/vista/Vista.html

it will only use software openGL emulation. (spose its gotta put some load back on the CPU, i mean the OS is hogging the graphics card)

and this has to be the best line i have ever seen.

quote:

The new interface provides translucent windows, dynamic reflections, and smooth animations that help users focus on their content rather than the tools and interface, reducing software “overhead.”

I'm glad i'm using linux and learning python. XP will hopefully be the last microsoft OS i'll have to support.
From now on any install i do is ubuntu linux with a VMware windows (legit btw) if somebody really really wants it.
Once i get flash 9 installed and i can watch all the crappy vids that are put places other than youtube all will be well.

Don't however get me started on the idiocy of using flash players to provide movie content.
i mean talk about dumb.
just give me the !@#$ movie you daft FOOLS! and not in 1@$##! windows media player 9. (although i can watch those in gxine, but i shouldn't because its breaking copy protection for me to do so, and thats like murdering babies which is almost as bad as watching a dvd through linux, damn i am going to HELL)

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

I've just downloaded the *ubuntu series (Ubuntu, Kubuntu & Xubuntu) to tinker around with and to pass around to some mates (Surprisingly, two of which told me the other day they had ditched windows completely as well, one mate going to Xandros and the other trying out Ubuntu like me)... Once I sort out my networking issue (Jake, help Embarassed ) and get a grip on *nix command line protocols, I think I'll enjoy a faster, free computing life, until I VM Ware back into XP Confused

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:19 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i have xubuntu on my laptop, i think its missing some stuff from the main ubuntu series though. Not stuff they are missing on purpose like open office and such like but stuff like upstart.

still once its running its damn nice.
Whats up with networking? MSN me.
hehe using gaim on MSN, getting back at the man.

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number