RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Flamewars - Mac vs Windows vs anybody rumble rides again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Whats up with networking? MSN me.
hehe using gaim on MSN, getting back at the man.

Well I would catch you on Gaim, but that's not working right now due to network issue Rolling Eyes Basically, after the mucking around of getting it all running, thanks to your expertise and some reverse SSH, it was all working fine, then a few days later I noticed that surfing was becoming really slow and some pages wouldn't load... Google would die, robowars.org was fine, but 56k slow...

Then I manually set the IP addresses incase there was some crap with my router and DHCP, and it kinda broke all network then... I've got it back to the point where I can ping out into the real world and see my router again, but I cannot surf any sites or get Gaim to work Confused

I also got a little issue with accessing my 250Gb and 80Gb drives, but after some research today, I think I can handle that one now Smile And having a little issue with networking the VMWare XP to the network... but that might fix after I get the internet shat sorted out.

But yeah, if you've got any suggestions on the networking possibilities, let me know... Currently running PortableApps from my flash drive on my mum's Celery... Mad Oh the slowness!!!!

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:40 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

mmm ping working and intarweb browser not. Thats a good effort.
you using the gui tools to muck with stuff? Try resetting stuff with that.
otherwise here is a /etc/network/interfaces file that will hopefully reset your stuff

code:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp

(on mine eth1 and 2 are vmware i believe)

If you get stuff up and running, iftop is a great thing to see whats happening wrt live bandwidth use IE dads pc is downloading an assload of stuff wth is happening there.
Turn that double NAT off too if you can, Rather than plugging incoming network into the WAN port plug it into one of the LAN ports on your router.

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Can you ping IP Addresses, but not domain names ?

eg.
ping www.google.com.au doesnt work but
ping 66.102.7.147 (same place) does ?

If so, most likely when you changed to manual IP address rather than DHCP assigned, you missed setting the DNS (domain name server) IP's.

Normally the router supplies the DNS settings automatically through DHCP, but on manual IP you need to set them yourself. Without a DNS setting, the computer cant contact the DNS to lookup domain names and change them into IP addresses.

Just a thought to check

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Funny the little differences between the redhat and deb based stuff these days, eg in redhat land network config stuff is stored in /etc/sysconfig/network/network-scripts/, each device has its own file (ifcfg-eth0 for instance), and is written in a completely different format.

<rant>
The whole "your too stupid to login as root, you might break something" approach shits me off with ubuntu though. I mean, as a rule you run as a user whenever you can, and you never run X (etc) as root, but sometimes it just makes life so much easier . . . I dont want to justify every command I make by having to login again . . . its like someone going "are you sure ? really ? certain? are you sure you wanna do that ?" constantly . . .I know you can stop it asking you, but why should it start off so restrictive . . . just block root SSH access, set up iptables correctly (DROP as a default jump as opposed to ACCEPT which is easier but stupid!) and dont be a tosser when logged in as root (ie "ooh, I wonder what happens when I enter rm * -r -f . . . ") . . . all is good.
<rant/>

iptraf is another good tool for sorting out which users to kill / sites to block.
For msn stuff you might wanna try out amsn too, if all your using is msn its a way better option IMO.

If its your DNS, vi your resolv.conf, remove whatever servers are there and chuck in 203.21.20.20 (westnet's 1st DNS, I know it works).
When NAT settings are messed up, in rare cases ICMP will get through when TCP/UDP doesnt, so you might wanna flush iptables if you've been playing with that.
Actually, partial internet connection like that could be MTU related. . .

ffej.net

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

dude rather than logging in as root is going
sudo su
so much harder?
or even if you really want root (say for swat) sudo passwd root
its really not that hard and "out of the box" its more secure, brute force attacks of any kind get a spanner thrown.

1st rule of windows system admin, remove/deprivlage the administrator account.

Post Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by Valen:
dude rather than logging in as root is going
sudo su
so much harder?
account.

You can actually do that ? Heh, guess I was more frustrated with all the little differences at the time, I didnt even try it.

Wrt brute force attacks, if there coming from the network (if they have physical access your fucked anyway) and your firewall isn't sloppy, attacks shouldn't get that far. Even if for some reason you've opened up ssh from everywhere, change one line in your sshd config and root cant login directly anyway. Trivial now that I know the above, but I just prefer root being like any other user by default.

quote:
1st rule of windows system admin, remove/deprivlage the administrator

But its not Windows . . . Laughing

ffej.net

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

people bitch about the admin account in windows being a security flaw just because its a known name. good for the goose is good for the gander.

Personally i have root account enabled and allowed through ssh.
I just turn the port forward on my firewall off unless i want it, and most of the time i openVPN in anyway ;->

Post Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:26 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I fixed it Very Happy

Was a DNS problem... I could open some bookmarks like RoboWars, but google failed...

Just had to open firefox up,punch in "about:config"
filtered the list with "IPv6"
which brought up "network.dns.disableIPv6" which I changed from "false" to "true"

IPv6 must have been fighting with IPv4 or something... Maybe because my router only supports IPv4 being a crapski Netcomm.... Rolling Eyes

S'all good though, the necessity of not having a net connection in my bedroom and having to use the old's Celeron was motivation to learn more about Ubuntu and Linux in general Razz Just setting up my VMware XP installation now.....

Ubuntu FTW! Linux + 1 j0!

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:13 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

For the record, I actually like Vista . . . its virtually the same as XP, but prettier and more polished, with all the SP2 mess sorted out. Not as much dumbing down as I had expected, and the things been running like a well oiled machine for the past two weeks. They even got rid of the stupidly dated "My" prefix from everything (hoofuckingray). IPV6 is now well supported now too (aren't they gunna be fun to remember).

Its got everything a minor, incremental step between Whistler and Blackcomb (Vienna) needs . . . Oh, wait, its more than 3 years late . . . lol

ffej.net

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:36 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Running Ultimate edition?

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:50 am 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, the Aero Glass interface looks cool, though its not exactly a revolution. Vista asks you before doing anything that hasn't happened before, which actually isn't as annoying as you'd think. It also lets you know if a process is doing something it shouldn't be, which is kinda useful. You can see the Win2K3 Server influence and everything seems to have a nice flow to it.
From a Windows server POV, Longhorn Server should be a step forward, though its still Windows Laughing

ffej.net

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:13 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Done any DX10 stuff with those 8800's of yours? No games out with DX10, but though there might be some demo's or shat that came with Vista to show off the funkyness. I'll probably just end up putting Vista Ultimate on VM Ware in Ubuntu Razz

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:36 am 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Why not just multiboot? Cleaner and faster...

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:40 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Multi boot = Pain in the ass...

I don't want to wait 2mins for the system to reboot and change to Windoze. I just CTR + ALT out of Windoze and I'm back in Ubuntu... I have 2Gb RAM, so I just dedicated 1GB to Windows and 1GB to Ubuntu. Makes life easy. Cool

Plus, if Windozes does it's crashy breaky thing, I just reload the snapshot and it's ready to go in 5mins... No reinstalls here... Razz

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:50 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

only reason for multi boot is games.
Plus booting a vmware image is loads faster than booting the native OS even if you aren't just "restoring" the machine state.

When Xen gets the ability to pass PCI devices to a hardware virtualised host then you could even play windows games in windows, virtualised into linux. (cheapie 2d graphics card for linux and a beefy 3d card for windows)

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:13 pm