RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Flamewars - Mac vs Windows vs anybody rumble rides again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
only reason for multi boot is games.

Or obtain a copy of TransGaming's Cedega Gaming Engine (Based on WINE) and you can play all your favourite Windows games, in Linux Cool

I luurve the speed of Ubuntu over Windows... It's like a turbo with no lag!

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:02 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

only if you want to run oblivion with the "oldblivion" patch

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Yeah, but Oblivion is so last year... Beat the main quest in 24hrs... Waste of cash, glad I never paid for it Cool

I heard TA:Spring should be working on Cedega soon... 3D TA anyone?

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:00 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

i believe spring can be run native in linux.
i have already kicked glens ass at it anyway (in doze) so wheres the thrill ;-P

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

that was far more ass than class Cool

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

both times?
in fact every time we have played any TA style game?

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:54 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

CS: Source Cool Let's go!

Post Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:40 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Supreme Commander is where it is at (soon)

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:48 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

10:4 on that
i think i know what my birthday present is going to be.
have to get windows network booting or some such i thinks.

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:38 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

pffttt.... Tetris for the hardcore gamer! Twisted Evil

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:07 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9009961&pageNumber=1
(pages 2,34 are the relevant bits)

See, I'm not the only one who thinks there has been a very troubling change of direction at Microsoft.. Rolling Eyes

Their new OS philosophy is reminiscent of the walls of a cattle coral - See-through "not quite" walls that nonetheless force you to head in the direction they want you to go until you are in the right spot to be shorn or slaughtered.

You *will* be paying them, or their business partners one way or another.. maybe not right away, they will have to give you a few gates to go through first so the way back is closed before the destination is revealed to the alarmed cattle or else you would resist the first gate.

Hmm, reading that back sounds like the ravings of a paranoid lunatic even to me, but I'm not the only one who can perceive the structural intent behind the surface gloss, lots of other IT people are thinking the same thing. Vista is the Version 1 entryway to a prettily painted prison.

Those who are taking the trouble to educate themselves in one of the free alternatives to Microsoft-Land *now* are ensuring they retain an "Exit" gate from the corral. A few years down the track and I think you will be very pleased you started when you did. I know I am.

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

hey heres a suggestion if you dont like flooding the market, dont use a computer Surprised bwahah.

sounds like linux is a whole lot of f**king around?

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:56 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

only if you want to f*** around with it.
put it this way
your router/firewall is running linux and its been sitting under your bed running 24/7 for how long now? If it was windows you would have needed to reboot it 15 times just to get its head out of its own ass.

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:01 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

At the moment it *can* be..

Because it is a different way of doing things to Windows, some of the knowledge and experience you have accumulated over the years on how to do things will no longer apply and you will have to learn some new things that will probably make you go "why do I have to muck around like this ? On windows I just used to <xxx> and it worked".

But remember that you didnt always know how to "just <xxx>" in the Windows way either. Get a computer n00b and show them windows and watch how hard they have to work to figure out what you "just know".

Switching to Linux will involve *some* re-learning of things you already know how to do under Windows, and hence will seem like "mucking around", if you instead view it as re-educating yourself to work in an evironment where there is no big-brother holding your hand for you, you may enjoy the relearning process more.

I had my first encounter with Linux back in the Slackware Version 0.1 days (~1994) and it was like having half my skills erased. No X-Windows interface.. Just a unix command-line shell and not even DIR worked ! Just figuring out how to edit a file took me ages (Vi or Emacs ? Wink)

Things are a lot easier now, File Explorers, Control Panels, Windows, are all very windows-like, so the "Toto, I dont think we are in Kansas anymore" feeling isnt so bad. I guarantee you could give a Linux system to your mum and she could be surfing the net and reading her email in no time..

For those of us who know the flatland-code behind the windows, the ropes that hold the scenery up are a little different in this theater, but the principles remain the same.. its just a matter of learning to do things a different way.

Post Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:13 pm 
Rob Team Rotwang

My favourite commercials atm :]

Mac's image battle with PC
http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

One cool looking bloke introduces himself as a mac (kinda looks like Neo). An uncool bloke in a suit and bad haircut (kinda looks like that #1 billionare) introduces himself as a PC. Seemingly they discuss the shortcomings of the PC vs. the merits of the Mac. The PC character is neurotic, insecure and a nerd; Mac, in return, is relaxed'n hip.

Post Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:56 am