Author    Thread
cerberus3112

what does the user groups mean :?:

what does the user groups mean Question

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:33 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Why is a Blackboard ?

Cerberus, while I'm trying to be nice to newbies, your posts have repeatedly demonstrated a very low level of "think before you speak", significantly raising the meaningless noise level around here. Also, this does not belong in technical talk.. I have moved it to off-topic

Please read this NOW
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Continued lack of regard for other peoples time why asking questions that expect people to know what the hell you are talking about with no explanation of what you mean will get your posting priveleges revoked for a period of time.

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

lol hohohoh hehehehe lol *short break in laughter (is this wat happened to wilko as well Cool )* lol sorry

ok dude you got a good friend on the net its called google, use it.

@spockie mayby for all the noobs a short time where they can't post stuff and have to (shock horrer) look for it in the forum or even google.

btw what (who) do i have to do to become an experianced roboter here (lol now i read it).
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:04 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I'm considering creating a flame-proof newbie area where they can ask as many obvious questions as they like, and thats the only area they can post in to start with, until they get past the "can I put a nuclear rocket launcher on my robot ?" stage.

That way, people who dont feel like wading through 50 clueless questions can just avoid the newbie zone (like the off-topic area). Once someone demonstrates a reasonable level of politeness and shows they put more than 3 seconds of thought into their question, then their status would be upgraded to being allowed to post in the areas the experienced builders frequent more often.

Problem is, its a bit of work to do, then make sure all the existing builders permissions are set correctly and upgrading people after a while and stuff, and I have more than enough to do right now. Its easier to growl at a particularly noisy newbie on occasion. If we were getting flooded with them, it would probably be worth doing.

Which leads to the "Experienced roboteer" thing. That was some preliminary work I was doing with permissions and stuff when I was setting up the build threads area. I was thinking of reserving it for builders who had actually competed in an event, thus justifying the "experienced" label, but I understand thats going to be somewhat difficult for you given your location in WA..

Maybe I should write a quiz or something for people to take ? Wink (not serious). You've probably been slapped around the head and flamed often enough now to know better than to ask vague questions ("Dude, how do I build my robot ?! Wink ).

Maybe an opinion poll - Who thinks Big-Al should be annoited with the hallowed title of "Experienced Roboteer" ?

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Maybe an opinion poll - Who thinks Big-Al should be annoited with the hallowed title of "Experienced Roboteer" ?

No. Not being an ass, but I think to be an experinced roboteer, you need to have built or helped build 2-3 robots, have competed at events, and have been accepted to the roboteering community as someone with knowledge worth listening too.

Sorry Big Al, but I don't see you classed as being experince, when only a month or so back, you were posting constantly in your build thread about loosing wheels off your bot and you were wondering why. Anyone who has read the Drill Hack 101 guide by Brett will have solved this problem.

Cheers,
The Forum n00b Basher.

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:30 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

"Maybe an opinion poll - Who thinks Big-Al should be annoited with the hallowed title of "Experienced Roboteer" ?"

*raises hand slowly*

*looks around*

*puts hand down*

as for flame proof area good call, maybe not everyone but those "selected special" people

Post Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:37 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

How about me? I've built more than 3 bots (well... gone through) and have a proper workshop now! Laughing
lol yeah sorry big al, but its probably because your not near a really active comp...

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:19 am 
cerberus3112

okay thanks sorry for the annoyence Embarassed and i think he should be aloud
cause (insert reason here)

Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:53 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
How about me? I've built more than 3 bots

when you finish primary school you can be an advance roboteer XD

Post Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:52 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

XD wawa gagagogoo Evil or Very Mad
(*note to self... chill glens coke*) Twisted Evil

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:54 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well i put it down to what ive got going on ive nearly finished hyper (Draggoonarie) and on to a second bot for a mate (something sort of like cobra sorry glen) and mayby a wedge when i get somemore bit to beable to controle them. all the part,plans and what not are ready and just rely on one or two parts turning up before i can start.

all this is being done to raise intress overhere.

the only probly i have in finising my robot(s) are parts and people having them ordered in.

also TDT i have fixed many problems with my bot the wheels were giving me grief as short of locktiteing them on nothing could hold them on(my local hardwhere store only has the stuff to order as i found out)

thanks for your support glen Very Happy
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:51 am 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

Oh if Forgot to add this in before

TDT a small present: Very Happy
[img] http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/dragoonarie/TDT.jpg [/img]

Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:21 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Nice, but I'm looking for something more catching Cool I was going to dig out this avatar I saw once that said "Pound Much?" with this guy bench pressing 200lbs

I was going to make one with a conveyer belt with n00bs on it and a little dwarf hammering them with a 100lb hammer. A little counter would count each n00b as 50lb and down the bottom it would flash. "I pound over 1000lbs of n00b per day!"

Post Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:48 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

well to be honest im not to fused bout titles i was just wondering bout it.

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:34 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

experienced forum user != experienced robot builder person,
On the forum however in terms of permisisons what you built dont matter, it may matter with regard to how much weight people give your opinions but people can serve a role just admining stuff.

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number