www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

The Future of Web-Browsing.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

The Future of Web-Browsing.

I know I probably sound like a cracked record on occasion when singing Opera's praises, but if you are a Power net-surfer, you *have* to check out the new Preview of Opera Version 9.. Shocked

I've been running Preview 1 for a few weeks now and it absolutely rocks Cool even more than previous Opera versions have. I have 50+ windows/tabs open at any one time, and it moves like *lightning*.. even faster than version 8, and it was *already* the fastest browser on the net by a long way.

Notwithstanding the already-inbuilt RSS reader (auto monitor the RoboWars Wiki and your favourite sites), pop-up blockers, mouse-gestures, inline search engines (great for Wikipedia and Google searches), download client, remember open windows, Page Zooming and more features than even I have learnt so far (I'm always discovering new things in it), and still has the smallest footprint (meaning it uses the least memory and CPU power) of any browser.

Now, preview 2 goes and adds even more !! and In-built Bit-Torrent client, Desktop Widgets (cool!), a simpler way of customising the inline searches, a "content" blocker (nuke those annoying flash ads and anything else you dont like by just right clicking on them and blocking everything from that source !), site-specific preferences, so it can automatically customise settings based on what site you go to, page-tab thumbails and who-knows what else.

Spyware ? Whats that ? *Nothing* gets past Opera. No self-installing smileys, Yahoo toolbars, self-changing homepages or search engines.

And its completely free with no ads !

And Microsoft still hasnt even managed to release Internet Explorer 7 yet, which is absolutely hilarious, its like they're bringing out "The Horse V2" in 1999 about 6 months after the latest Lamborghini.

Its not for everyone, If you like your net-surfing to be a simple leisurely experience and are careful to avoid the "fringier" areas of the net (so you computer doesnt get 0wn3d), then stick with your Model-T Ford (Internet Explorer).

But if you're a surfer to whom milliseconds matter, and appreciates the browser equivalent of a Ferrari, you *need* to give this thing a serious test-spin.

The only bad thing is that it has a few too many toolbars turned on by default when you install it.. for those with Low-Res (less than 1200x1000) screens.. but just right click on the bars you dont want, select customise and turn them off to get a clean, uncluttered maximal viewing windows..

and yes, its even available for Mac and Linux users..

(No, I dont get paid for this, I just *like* it)

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=122915
http://weblog.timaltman.com/node/822

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
prong
Experienced Roboteer

since I use the net an overly larhe amount I think you have sold me Smile

time to get over my lazyness and check it out.

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:34 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

WOAH! I've just downloaded Opera 9 Preview 2, and I have to say it's about 25%-30% faster on my system Shocked I barely hear the unclicking noise of my mouse and it's loaded the page Shocked

I've been running Opera since Version 7 and this is just awesome! I've even noticed a slight pick up in speed on accessing IRC!

OMFG! I think I'm gonna have a sudden case of Opera-Fanboy-ness Laughing

Now ditch Internet Exploder, forget the Flaming Fox, come and use the ultimate web browser.... Where your web browsing experince isn't over until the phat lady sings! Razz

Post Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:12 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

By the way, keep in mind that Opera V9 is a "Technology Preview" (read Beta) at the moment. Its been completely stable for me for the last couple of weeks, but some people *may* have trouble with it.

If you want a stable release version, go to www.Opera.com and get the release version 8.5 - Not quite as fast, and doesnt have all the new features, but might be better for some people if you experience problems.

The release version of 9.0 probably isnt too far off, but 9TP2 is working well for me so far. My latest fanboy smile is the tab-hover-thumbnail feature (since I leave so many tabs open at once). These guys just hink of great ideas years ahead of the competition. Cool

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

I had a small hiccup with it last night when I was downloading Blender 3D and it pretty much become non-responsive on me. Closed it and opened it again and it did the same thing. Seems to be working this morning fine with other downloads, maybe it just doesn't like the Blender 3D website Razz

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:10 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I had a quick look at the built in Bit Torrent Client last night. it seems a little unstable when downloading large (gigabyte) torrents. Long pauses, slow response etc. So I installed uTorrent which works well, and everything else in it is running well..

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:59 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Sounds funky... might ditch firefox and give it a go... however the school only uses internet explorer Mad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:23 am 
Waddy the phoenix

hmmmmm migh giv it a whirl Smile im looking for something to chalange me browser wise i have just had more than enough of ie and i have never liked firefox Smile

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:42 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Sounds funky... might ditch firefox and give it a go... however the school only uses internet explorer

Install firefox or opera onto a 128mb flash drive and use it to surf the net at school problem free. I did this at TAFE because IE blows and they wouldn't give me admin rights to install my programs.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:20 pm 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

ditto, but i think they've disabled us running any aplications all together... Sad

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:30 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

weeeeeee great fun though im kinda dissapointed i cant forward or back using my mouse like in IE but small price to pay for what i gain Very Happy

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:18 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

weeeeeee great fun though im kinda dissapointed i cant forward or back using my mouse like in IE but small price to pay for what i gain Very Happy

... wait no i will just go through and re config my mouse Smile just meens that i cant go back or forward while the cursor is in a text box

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:24 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I use a Microsoft Intelli Exploder with 5 buttons. My side buttons are the fwd/back page buttons by default. works with anything.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:48 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Learn the mouse gestures. Cool

They take a little while to get down pat, but once you do its a big an improvement in speed as the addition of a wheel to a mouse was. You'll never have to reach for the back button again,

Open link in new window, close, back, minimise and forward.. There are others, but those cover 90% of things you will probably use.

Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:33 am 
Waddy the phoenix

ok its on my to do list Smile

Post Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:04 am