www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Bash .org stuff
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

Bash .org stuff

i had to post this because it followed simmiler to something mel said a while back, (see someone understood your little sopebox moment, guess which forum topic is from people)

<Graham> Let's say you have an ax. The kind that you could use, in a pinch, to hack a man's head off...
<Graham> And let's say that very situation comes up and for some very solid reasons you behead a man.
<Graham> On the follow-through, though, the handle of the ax snaps in half in a spray of splinters.
<Graham> So the next day you take it to the ax store down the block and get a new handle, fabricating a story for the guy behind the counter and explaining away the reddish dark stains as barbeque sauce.
<Graham> Now, that next spring you find in your garage a creature that looks like a cross-bred badger and anaconda. A badgerconda.
<Graham> And so you grab your trusty ax and chop off one of the beast's heads, but in the process the blade of the ax strikes the concrete floor and shatters.
<Graham> This means another trip to McMillan & Son's Ax Mart. As soon as you get home with your newly-headed ax, though, you meet the reanimated body of the guy you beheaded last year.
<Graham> He's also got a new head attached and it's wearing that unique expression of "you're the man who killed me last Spring" resentment that one so rarely encounters in everyday life.
<Graham> You brandish your ax. He takes a long look at the weapon with his squishy, rotting eyes and in a gargly voice he screams, "that's the same ax that slayed me!"
<Graham> ...Is he right?
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:36 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Its a Philisophical Argument.. one of those ones with no clear answer. How many angels can dance on the head of a pin type of thing.

Is the guy who's whining about being killed the "same" guy since he now has a new head ?

The problem with Robot Combat is that we draw an arbitary line at the end of a tournament and say "ok, after this point you can rebuild the whole robot, but not while you are in the midst of the competition"

Ideally, each fight would be a seperate event in itself, and what happened outside the arena wouldnt matter, but thats not practical given the arrangement of our events.

So you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere between changing a wheel, and attaching the remaining good wheel to a whole new robot. Exactly where the line is, is the tricky part.

Look closer Neo, the real secret is, there is no Ax.. Razz

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Archer

Ok that was just a little to confusing for me at this hour while hungover Laughing .

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:54 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Look closer Neo, the real secret is, there is no Ax..

Woah... Sh*t... No way!

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:44 am 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

If that is a reference to computer boy Aaron your my hero Very Happy

I am the one! you cannot hurt me!

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:47 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
If that is a reference to computer boy Aaron your my hero

Yeah, Computer boy rocks Cool

Look, behind you!

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:09 am 
T Bag

how do u gather there's no axe!
I can only figure that it's not the same axe cause it's got a fresh handle and a fresh head
so i dunno. But it's really disturbing i'll tell u that

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:57 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

lol how much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood

thats one that is baffeling me at the moment as there is no mention of numbers in it!!!!!

Post Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:41 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

quote:
lol how much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood

Easy. as much as he wanted to. Razz

As you said, no mention of numbers, other motivations, requirements or anything in the question, so the answer is purely up to how much wood the chuck feels like chucking. Laughing

most of the time, if the answer to the question like that isnt apparent to most people, its because the question was insufficiently defined. Thats how you make questions sound deep and meaningful.

What is the current temperature ?
isnt going to excite any epistomological quandry's, but
How many roads must a man walk down ? might.

Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Waddy the phoenix

quote:
How many roads must a man walk down

that ones easy

A: as many as he has too to get some fuel because his female navigator messed up and took them the long way hence why they ran outta fuel

Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:58 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

The man is not walking down the road. The man is staying still and pushing the road backwards with his feet.

Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:01 pm 
Big AL
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
The man is not walking down the road. The man is staying still and pushing the road backwards with his feet.

bloody physics questions
best quote ever:: "Those Gas-Turbine style warehouse heaters arent illegal, and neither is remote controlling one as far as I know."

Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:26 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

hay now thats clever but i think that theory works here too:

every action has an equal and opposite reaction

the world is moving at half the speed of the man in the opposite direction to the way the man is walking

so hmmmm there are heaps of different theories on that but i think that all of them is assuming that there is only 1 person walking on the planet. last time i checked if 2 people are walking away from each other it dosnt create a mountain between them and tear the world in half in front of them lol and the world cant spin in 2 different directions at once so we will all have to agree that the world does spin but inst affected by the people walking on it and nor are the people walking on it affected by the world Very Happy

Post Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:27 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

People walking about are similair to large-scale brownian motion.

They *do* create a force input to the earths rotation and position, but given the relative masses and angular momentum energy store of the earth, the effect is negligible. Also, the semi-randomness of their movements all cancel out to sum or near-0

It would be interesting to calculate how many people would be needed to all walk in the same direction at the same time to make a noticeable difference in the rotation. - OK, Everybody down the back of the bus start rocking from side to side ! Razz

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:42 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
OK, Everybody down the back of the bus start rocking from side to side !

It's actually quite easy to do that in one of those 12 seater maxi taxi buses!

Post Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:42 am