www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Builders Reports

Banshee - Team Aurora - NSW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Author    Thread
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

9Hp for $120 Shocked ? Where did you find it - I thought you put the Etek in your pocket bike Smile

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:28 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

9HP for $120, sounds like a chainsaw to me Cool

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:59 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

indeed Exclamation

however air cooled chainsaw motors cant provide the right power for the weight so its actually a water cooled pocket bike engine thats been de-rated from 14hp because i cant fit the big exhaust on it.

i got some really cool micro radiators on the way too Very Happy will grab some pics of them soon. just need to order a pumper carb so i can stick the motor sideways

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

just run the normal carby sideways Smile

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

well today was a pretty big bludge. did nothing really except pack so i had some time to muse on the merging of gasoline to robot and do it safely and properly Very Happy

the plan was to originally make the phailbot into an icewave clone with the motor up over the shaft. but theres a ton of work involved in that and i think the bar spinner isnt so great a design against wedges and lower robots.. obviously heh.

so instead im thinking of making a homage to my favourite robot, mad dog / code black! this way i can keep the motor tucked away nicely inside and such and keep the blade low enough to attack most others.

was going to use the watercooled motor but putting a box exhaust on it would derate the power so hardcore its not funny. and a pumper carb the size i need is almost $300. so ill just use my spare CAG engine thats only aircooled but i can get pre made wrap around exhausts and pumper carbs plenty cheap.

and im pretty sure the float type carb wont enjoy the massive shocks Razz

but in any case i think itll be a fine weapon setup. same lenght and weight as before just inverted. will lay some bits out and take some pics Smile

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Hehe, so its going to be your 9hp ICE vs. my 6hp electric undercuter! 6mm polycarb on the arena suddenly seems inadequate! Laughing

Good luck in Melbourne!

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:03 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

cheers Very Happy

im bidding on a few bits on ebay at the moment, most notably a nitrous kit and methanol capable gaskets and things so i might shave some mm off the bottom of the barrel, run it at 16:1 and get some serious balls out of it.

just need to think of a design and such when im not so stressing out over melbourne Razz cheers for the compliment! hope your arm gets better soon Smile

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:08 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

carb probably wont be bothered overly much. The shock might well stall the engine though, put a starter on it.

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

thats something i was looking at too, use a tiny brushless to crank it over. lathe will make it all so easy Razz

Post Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:41 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

got my new flywheel installed and the walbro 16mm carby showed up. i love it. its heaps tiny and bolts onto the motor instead fo clamping on so it will be heaps strong. looks the buisiness too. ill get some pics up tommorow.

now to work out how to mount the servo throttle and choke throttle and starter motor

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:00 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

don't forget a failsafe with idle return

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

indeed. i will also have a remote cut off on the ignition side too.

but heres the motors lightened flywheel. the stockers are notorious for having shocking balance and really lag the acceleration down pretty bad. and for a 3 minute fight that degree of air cooling isnt neccessary so we hack off some of the fins.

also got the 16mm carb on and working. it has an internal fuel pump that works from the crankcase vacuum so it can run inverted and not be affected as much as float carbs. not to mention with an ali manifold and being held on with bolts instead of clamps it will be plenty strong.

size comparison with a normal ev motor.

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:06 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

still need to pretty it up but its done.

now i have to make a proper solid throttle linkage and find a way to either make the internal throttle spring much more resistive or just add another one in.

next is the electric starter setup then i can progress into the integrate it into the robot stage Razz

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:33 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

good news! i found a compatible electric start Very Happy its just a small scooter motor that builds into the casing and has a freewheel internal to it. so thats a big bit of progress. should be here soon but it should mean a gas motor could be quite effective..

and the frame is a bit more layed out. looks a bit of a cross between mad dog chopper and bender with a few twists thrown in there. but it has a huge tuned pipe laying across the top then out the back so there should be some serious balls in the setup.

tommorow ill work on the pulley setup. its just a reverse thread M10 so ill try get the bolt for it then weld that into the pulley and thread it in.

not sure if ill get it done come next event. maybe if i get the lathe. DAMN HARE AND FORBES OPEN ON WEEKENDS YOU BASTARDS Mad

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:46 pm 
andrew

They are you jackass, they close at 12 on saturdays, same with edcon

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:26 am