www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

letting off steam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Author    Thread
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

wouldnt it be cheaper to use cheap asian labour to do all of the work of a server Laughing

Post Sat May 20, 2006 2:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

heh 15k should get you quad cpu/8core these days.
at a minimum

if you dont need the fancy graphics, you could probbly go 8 cpu/16core 64bit opterons. a whole bunch of SATA raid hdds (though pci-X scsi *might* be fast enough not to bottleneck, you want SATA out of the chipset so you are on the hypertransport backbone which you arent going to saturate, you want the gigabit ethernet port on the same too so you dont saturate it.)

pre packaged base
http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/8471_Tyan_Transport_VX50_B4881V50S4H_4P.asp
call it $10k landed

add stuff
A-OSA-250
8x AMD Opteron 250 BOX, Socket 940, Server, Retail $3058
16x KingMax DDR-SDRAM DDR400 PC3200 1.0GB, SuperRAM $2200
4x HDD SATA, Western Digital, 320GB, Caviar SE, SATA 1.5Gb/s, 8MB $704
$5962

$16k all up
640GB hdd (raid mirroring), 16GB of ram, 8 cpu cores ;->
if you DIY a little more wrt case (keeping in mind that 4 the mbo is atx)
mbo is worth $3032
so our $15 k budget has $6000 left
well say $1000 for case and PSU
$5000 left
add another 4 cores and 16GB of ram
we are even on budget, blow it by $1k for the addon board for that tyan mbo and yer set
$16k for 16core 36gb ram in a funky little atx box ;->
all at rrp in onsies ;->

Post Sat May 20, 2006 10:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Waddy the phoenix

thing that shytes me is a few things first

coustomers that cant speek english

coustomers that think your a bloody mind reader

coustomers that dont listen (no im sorry that cant be done. "but cant you just" *thinks to self: can i grab your shoes and belt you to a bloody pulp then tell you nicely again "no it cant be done"* im sorry sir no it is not possible if you do that the rest of the shoe will break apart *mumbles underbreath STUPID IDIOT!!!!!* yeah but cant you just...)

coustomers that think their always right (they dont know the rest of the saying... coustomers are always right unless they can be proven wrong. which is more oftern than not)

coustomers that scream at you when they have fu(ked their keys and you cant cut em cause of it (i got this key cut here but the key was sharp and so i filed it down and now it wont work SO I WANT YOU TO CUT ME ANOTHER ONE *polietly tells them to Fu(k Off)

coustomers that leave their junk at your counter or even worse and spill something on it and then expect you to clean it (im sorry about that but you might wanna clean it up *throws the cleaning gear at them and says "yes YOU might wanna clean it up"*) and yes i have done that before

coustomers that winge about the price of a repair then come back after some other mob has superglued their shoes back together and they wont bend any more (YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME THAT MUCH... no i will take it else where *35 min later* ummm well can you fix it the other guy done this to them...)

and finally coustomers that string them together (Ohh im sorry about the mess. WHAT YOUR KIDDING, no i will go some where else. but i thought by bending it it would be easier to get it into the lock but that dident work so nyour GOING to cut me a new one *no sir thats not my problem it will cost you $X amount* but i got it done here *and i said its not my problem you modified it intentionally and they arnt covered against that* you HAVE to re do it *do you have your reciept?* well no *well no reciept i dont gotta do anything even if it was our problem cause your reciept is your proof that you got it here* what? i dont understand... ^sticks hand out^ *sir what are are you doing?* ^shakes arm in the air^ *sorry now i dont understand* FINE GIMMI ANOTHER KEY!!!!!!

there are more that i hate but thats some Very Happy and yeah on average i get atleast 2 of all of em with the exception of the last one each day the last one i will either get none or i will get 10 in a day kinda hit or miss

soooooo yeah my day and my coustomers... enough to want to commit coustomarian genocide but thankfully my imagination and seceret plots for the systomatic slaughter of those "Choice" coustomers gets me through the day... but you know its bad when you rember them not for their names but how you plan to have them humiliated XD XD XD XD XD

Post Sat May 20, 2006 6:12 pm 
Daniel
Experienced Roboteer

Well I should have remembered the motto at work:

"Today decision is tomorrow revision"

Post Sat May 20, 2006 7:17 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

i've just gotta rember our last step in coustomer service, STAB the coustomer (Smile Thank and Ask Back)

but i dont know why but when im sharpening knives a different kind of STAB the coustomer comes to mind... perhaps im just morbid XD XD

Post Mon May 22, 2006 11:27 am 
original_carnage
Experienced Roboteer

On the bright side to working with customers.....

YOU NEVER REALISE HOW INTELLIGENT YOU ARE UNTIL YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE GENERAL PUBLIC

Wink

Post Mon May 22, 2006 3:22 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

now you see thats one thought i had never thought of lol good point just made my day soooo much better lets see 5 min down 475 more to go... oh and i am going to have fun today at lunch im going to go and throttle the new guys in tandys those *&#&^@! stole one of our stools and their only worth 280 so im going to be givin em a choice (aint i nice) either they give us 350 for the one they flogged or they give the damn thing back. we already lost points on our audit because it was missing and because of those points i missed out on my bonus (woulda been a nice bonus too only 1 and a half weeks pay extra :S) if the stool wasnt gone we woulda gotten 100% on our audit but NOOOoooOOOoooooo we missed out by 3 points... its soo unfair *sigh* oh well i will just take my coustomer relations officer with me *wistles to the hammer* here mr hammer lets go pay some people a visit...

damn reading over my last few posts make me seem like im a raving madman that is hellbent on the erradication of anyone that even seems like a coustomer LOL

why cant i get more coustomers like Rita and old man Robetson them 2 are always good fun old man robertson is forever trying to buy me stuff and rita you can have a laugh with lol not bad for a muslim woman lol i tell ya she knows more muslim jokes than i have time in the day to listen to XD XD

Post Tue May 23, 2006 9:19 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Rant coming when I get home...

Currently running Opera from the Terminal server installed in my own admin directory to avoid detection Rolling Eyes

Post Tue May 23, 2006 3:23 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

woot another rant Smile it seems my working day is one long rant lol :S

Post Tue May 23, 2006 3:43 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

<RANT>

Well this morning was a real kick into the teeth... One of the Agronomists thought it would be fun to blame the contract tehnician for his comuter blowing up a week ago...

When I serviced the computers in that store around 2 weeks ago, I found his computer powered off, I had a quick clean out of the internals and soon found the PSU had a fried fan and it didn't work any more... A new PSU was bought that day, I installed it and the system have some video issues, hard drives we're powering up, normal beep from the bios, but no screen display. Alright, I'll just head home and rip a S3 Trio out of a crap box in my junk pile at home...

Brought in the replacement card and installed it. same crap as the day before, I alerted the manager. She said it was okay, the agronomist was getting a new laptop the following week. I was just asked to take the HDD with me and back up all the data onto CD's for her. Which I did and brought back the following day... I then didn't have any phone calls or emails from work... Which is okay... except I get no money!

So I've been working my ass off the last few days, as explained in previous post.. Today I get in there and start setting the agronomists emails up on his new laptop to come in from the email server. He then proceeded to have a shot at me for his computer breaking down and him missing 4 days work using quite a few f's and c's along the way Rolling Eyes Talk about an ass...

Coolest thing was, he was shooting off his mouth about it in the lunch room today and the regional managers wife heard him, and that got back to the regional manager who is a family friend of mine Laughing

</RANT>

Every doggy has his day... Don't bite the system admin hand that feeds your network Twisted Evil

Post Tue May 23, 2006 7:15 pm 
Nick
Experienced Roboteer

Yeah, Isn't it strange how the users who bitch the loudest have heir passwords mysteriously expire? I could never figure out why...

Post Tue May 23, 2006 7:20 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Cool

Yeah... That's gotta be one of those "unsolved" mysteries that will take them centuries to work out.

I don't mind copping a wrap over the knuckles for something I've fecked up on, but to be abused for something that wasn't even my fault just boils the blood a little bit Twisted Evil

Post Tue May 23, 2006 8:42 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

lol similar case with a womans pair of hiking boots she needs em by wensday next week and brought em in last week (i hadent seen em before today when they came back) they had been sent off to get the work done on it (stuff that we couldent do in store) and they came back i called her to let her know that they were ready and she comes in has a huge hissyfit cause the wrong sole was used (understandably she was pissed off) but then she made it personal and referd to me as a "tall stringy C*** that knows nothing about his work." i got rather annoied and gave her a filthy look i got "so what the F*** you gonna do about it!?!?!?" my responce was a simple one "the first thing im gonna do is tell you to grab your crap and leave the second im going to call security and tell them the situation and request that if you continue to stand here being abusive that they are to remove you from the center, the third is that im going to ring my boss and inform her of the situation and then she can decide whats going to happen." i got "you cant do that" then she got "watch me" and i followed through with the first step. she asked "well when can i get my *F***ing shoes?" my responce was "when you learn some manners or when my boss gets back" she bitched and cursed some more and said "im putting in a formal complaint to your head office" i handed her the phone and punched the number in for her then she threw it at me and i threatened to pull a hotell assistant and ring the cops. she went to leave and another coustomer that was there started to have a go at her and i had to ring security cause theese 2 woman were about to get into a punch up XD lol just another day at the office XD XD (i know i was being un diplomatic but she was just being a F*** wit :S (will tell yas if i still have a job by next week XD XD) MAN THAT FELT GREAT!!!!!!

Post Wed May 24, 2006 12:41 pm 
Waddy the phoenix

update:

still got a job. got told off by the regional franchise manager. i told him to ring her and see what she was like. he rang got off the phone and muttered "stupid bitch" under his breath. i nod to him and go bac to what i was doing while throwing little hints about the missing stool not being my fault and that we should get the points restored to us. i got told to leave it if i liked staying in the good books. end result = still missed the bonus but still got my job so yay.

Post Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:03 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I HATE MONDAYS Evil or Very Mad !!!!!!!!!!

If it's a Monday, anything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and you will be the blamed for that wrong Evil or Very Mad

Post Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:48 pm