www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Mandriva Linux 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

mandriva isn't bad i though haven't tried anything since they called themselves mandrake ;->
I'd say give ubuntu a go, its whole design philosophy is about "just works" and you can use all the debian stuff for it. So you have access to lots of software really easily.

If you have an older pc get something like the Xubuntu version, its designed to be light weight. Also if theres an "alternate install cd" for whatever version you want use that. The live CD version while nice still isnt as reliable as the text installer. The live CD's give you an idea of what its like though but they are fusckin slow in comparison to the real deal.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Mandriva is an excellent distro of Linux for beginners IMO.

Its not too dumbed down to the point where it feels like a Mac, but still has plenty of Wizards and Menus to help you get stuff done without Diving into the command line everytime you want to install a package or configure a server.

Every hacker will have good reasons for why their favourite distro is the best one, but I dont think any of them have been around as long as and has made such a sustained effort to make it easy for beginners as Mandriva (ex Mandrake) has.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
leo-rcc

Mandrake has always been quite an easy install for first time users, but when it compes to day-to-day running and installing additional apps I found it wasn't as easy as my debian for instance. I've tried Kubuntu now on my laptop, and it is just as easy to install if not easier than mandrake, but it is also much easier to install/remove programs. I found it to be much faster than Fedora.

The only thing is, Ubuntu is a real "Everything should me GPL" mentality. So for some programs you have to make a little more effort than you would in other distro's. Not a big deal, but for first time users that might pose a problem.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:51 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

My copy of Mandriva 2007 Power Pack arrived on Monday...

Tonight I finally had time to sit down an play with it Cool I've only had to do one re-install so far when I played with the 3D desktop, it seem'd to cause a big issue and my GUI never loaded when I logged into KDE Smile I had a bit of fun getting the internet to work, but I learnt soon enough. I had to install Shorewall and it configured it all to work...

Downloaded Opera 9.02 for Linux in RPM format, took about 2 seconds to install Shocked I didn't even get to see a loading bar...

Most to say, I'm please with this $100 investment (I bought powerpack for the Cedega Gaming Engine Very Happy and LinDVD).... So over the next 1-2 months, I'll be migrating all my files over to Linux Razz Goodbye Windoze, you served me well.... B)

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:41 pm 
WiperMotor

mmmmmmmm I just managed to get Fedora Core 6 Very Happy ,must try it out when my laptop gets here Evil or Very Mad

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:41 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Installed Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper) on an old 10gb HDD last night just to see what another distro of linux is like (I've only used Mandrake/Mandriva and FeatherLinux) and I was surprised to find how easy it was to install and configure!!!! (Beats Mandriva hands down!) and with in 30 mins I had internet and all the programs I wanted installed. I really like Ubuntu , it's very simple, and just so easy to use...

Thanks for posting up about Ubuntu Jake, if it wasn't for your post (And the chat in Melbourne), I wouldn't have bothered looking at it. Glad I did now Razz But, as I'm still new to linux, I need a little help.

Question 1: I downloaded VMWare Workstation 5.5.3 build 34685 for Linux as a tar.gz archive. I want to install it, but coming from the Mandriva world of RPM's, I'm not sure on how to install the package. I've looked inside the archive and looked for a install/make file, but haven't seen any. I did find a "vmware-install.pl" file, but I'm not sure how to run it or what commands to punch into command line... Confused

Question 2: I've got Ubuntu to a nice state with all my settings and programs configured the way I like it... But this is all on my crappy ole 10Gb drive... Is there a way I can make this into a snapshot/image and then install it as it is onto my 160GB drive? I used the small drive to trial Ubuntu, but to test it out, I had to set up a lot of programs that I needed to know that they worked properly in Ubuntu or not... So I'd kinda like to save myself 12 hours work and some how just snapshot/image what I've done and port it over to me 160GB drive..

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:16 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

to get vmware running from the file downloaded from the vmware website can suck a little

vmware should have the kernel headers for your kernel available so all should be well.

I haven't used the workstation before but to install player you can just apt-get install vmware-player

if you get the kernel modules you should be able to install any variant of vmware and provided you don't upgrade before the modules get pushed out all should be well (about a day or 2 from the release it seems to be, but it has taken over a week in the past)

anyway so if your dead set on workstation rather than say server or player then try this
sudo apt-get install vmware-player-kernel-modules

then extract the archive to somewhere
tar xzvf vmwaresdownlaodname.tgz

then cd into the new directory
cd vmwareisstuff

then
./vmware-install.pl

(its a python thing that takes you through the install and setup)

if you get errors about kernel modules and the like you may need to build them yourself so.
apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential
then try running through the install again.

Alternatly take a look at XEN (its tougher to setup the guest OS's though but to install it for me was a matter of basically "apt-get install xen"), or there is (another) new kid on the block called kernel virtualisation but that requires a processor with hardware virtualisation support.

depending on your filesystem its easy to move it and grow it but you will need to boot off the livecd to do the copy.
give me a bell on msn and chat its probably easier.

Basically what to do is dd everything across then play with the partitions on the new disk.

if you are going from an ATA to SATA disk though you will need to edit your grub menu.lst to let it know that / and /boot are now on /sda rather than /hda

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Thanks for the quick reply Jake Smile I'm just going through those steps now. I've heard of Xen before, but I've had no experience with it, so I was just going to use VMWare as I've used it for around 12 months and know it fairly well. Xen will be on the cards though as it has had some good reviews.

Once I get teh VMWare issue worked out. I'll chat to you about the shifting from 10Gb to 160GB... And yeah, it's from IDE to SATA. Confused

Thanks again.

***Maybe it's time we created a "Universal" Linux thread in the Off Topic section instead of just flooding the MDK2007 thread. Razz ***

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:59 pm 
WiperMotor

Well while you are on the topic of Ubuntu 6.06

every time I try to install it on an old computer here it keeps saying that the compression format is invalid Evil or Very Mad ,
then when I try to install Xbuntu it installs ok but when you go to put the password in it won't type in the field no matter how hard I smash the keyboard on the desk

I dunno whats going on Sad

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:16 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

it dosent like you?
tried 6.10?

also i have a computer that boots up fine but the keyboard dosent work untill i pull the keyboard plug, then plug it back in again, after that all is well.

Post Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:26 pm