www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Car thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Author    Thread
Knightrous
Site Admin

Woot! I loved the look of that hillclimb video... Reminds me of our local passes here. When do we get more video of Hello Kitty? Razz

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:18 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

Hopefully by next week I'll have stuff sorted out properly, and in a couple of weeks I have a supersprint, so I'll try to have an in-car camera for that.
If all goes according to plan I'll be racing at Mount Panorama the weekend after that Smile

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

When will we see you drifting in it Very Happy You know you want too Laughing

What engine mods have you done to the SR? I forgot to ask on NS.com Razz

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:08 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

plenty of people saw me drifting it yesterday when I went out with the dodgy street tyres on for the first session.
Semi sicks make it a lot less drifty, and a lot more fast.

The engine is an S14 SR20DE with big cams, valve springs, extractors, 3" exhaust, larger AirFlow Meter, and an aftermarket ECU.

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Sounds pretty nice. Kinda nice to see a few S13's on the track with NA configurations. Everyone seems to go Turb-uleh these days Confused

While I have your posting attention and this is the Cars and Schtuff thread, I'm thinking about getting a Kaaz 1.5way LSD for my S13 early next year when I plan on hitting a few track days. I've heard a few negative comments about 1.5/2way LSDs making driving rather dangerous in the wet and a bit uncomfortable for daily driving. Plus added noise of the LSD clutch plates moving all the time. I rack up a good 1200-1500km a week in my S13, and I like to go for a bit of a dori session on weekends at the local airstrip, so I need a comprimisation between pure drift and pure driving, and I know my stocko Viscous won't last long when I start doing track days Laughing .

What's your comments on the 1.5way and 2way LSD's in relation to daily driving and track conditions?

Also looking at gettiing some CA16DE cams for my CA18 motor, got any comments for that too Razz

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:55 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

it's only the exhaust cam that's different, and the CA16DE one is the same as the CA18DE from what I've been able to find.

As for the diff, yours will last fine cos it's not a viscous LSD at all. It'll be an R180 open diff.
CA18DETs came with an R200 viscous, but the DEs didn't.

So, you'd need to buy an R200 diff, and an LSD center for it.
Depending on what diff you get they can be fine for normal driving, or not.
Most of the aftermarket ones are a bit too harsh for normal street driving, especially in the wet. The diff I'm using is a 2way from a GTR, and it's really quite good on the street, but if you back off the throttle while coming into a corner in the rain the car will go sideways.
A 1.5way will be better in that situation, but an aftermarket 1.5way will still be worse than my 2way because of the extra preload on the clutch plates in it.

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:23 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
As for the diff, yours will last fine cos it's not a viscous LSD at all. It'll be an R180 open diff.
CA18DETs came with an R200 viscous, but the DEs didn't.

I knew the S13 Q's came with an LSD as optional, but it's always left twin burnout marks down the airstrip so I assumed it had the optional Viscious LSD Confused

Ersh, LSD's are complicated Razz

EDIT: I read somewhere on NS that the CA16 Exhaust cam has 0.5mm more lift and gives a good 10-15Kw increase in power.

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:54 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

the LSD was optional, but I don't know if it was available at all on the CA18DE cars. It's possible though. You'd have to have a look at it and check.

Were they saying the CA16 cams had more lift than the CA18DE cams, or DET cams?
The DE does have a larger exhaust cam than the DET, but it certainly won't give 10-15kw more power.
My cams gave a peak increase of about 12kw, and they have about 3mm more lift and a whole lot more duration.

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:49 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

The CA18DE cams have 0.5mm more lift then the CA18DET cams and the CA16DE cams have 0.5mm more then the CA18DE cams... Same duration though.

You wouldn't have gotten much more Kw from your cams cause your motor is just one of them low end S14 SR20DE Wink Laughing

CA Powah Razz

I'll have a dig for the thread(s) I read about the CA16DE cams in, quite a few people were saying the same thing. Steven from Nisswreck says they sell them like hot cakes too,

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:50 am 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

I've seen some people say they have more lift, and some say they don't.
I'm sure someone I know measured them and said they were the same, but I haven't had a chance to do that myself.

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:
CA Powah

Oxymoron!

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:58 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

I found the link to the CA16DE page I read about.

quote:
The intake cam actually opens the valves for 248 degrees, as opposed to the standard 240. It also provides 0.8mm more lift, bringing it up from 7.8mm (max valve opening) to 8.5mm.

The exhaust cams however are the same. I'm not sure, but I've heard it is good for around 5 - 10kw, with gains almost completely across the rev range. I have one of these cams lined up for my car and besides a set of bearings its basically a 'drop in' job. I'll let you know how it goes.

The camshaft swap is pretty easy. there are no specifics for the upgrade other than careful adherance of the factory procedure for the belt removal and bolt tensions etc.

There is no need to worry about bearings as the camshaft doesnt have any.

As the engine uses an air flow based fuel metering system, there is no need to worry about tuning fluctuations with the cam swap. The stock mapping is beyond adequate in this regard.

The swap will give a very slightly lopey idle - although hardly noticable.

when used with a larger turbo and free flow exhaust, there is no loss of power with a noticable improvement in the mid and top end performance.

The CA18DE cams are mid way between the CA16DE and the CA18DET.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/CA16-Cams-t861.html

It's an approved article, so I'm regarding it as a good source...

quote:
Originally posted by DumHed:
Oxymoron!

LOL! The car came with it, so I'll stick with it. Paul (Aussie180)'s CA seems to drift pretty good, nice reliable power figure from it too Cool

Someday when I've flogged all I can out of the CA and I want more power, I'll look at an SR20 from an S14. But for now, CA is plenty good for my superior n00b driving/drifting skillz Smile

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:26 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

there are also approved articles on ns.com saying that SRs have an undersquare bore / stroke ratio while the CA is square, which is completely backwards.
I wouldn't trust any articles on there.
The problem is that so far I haven't seen any trustable people providing any of the information.
If I could get hold of a set of cams I'd measure them and be sure.
I used to have some CA18DE cams, but I didn't have DET ones to compare to.

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:23 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Well when Steve @ Nisswreck gets his next pile of CA16DE cams, one of them has my name written on it, so I'll do some measurements then. For $175, if it turns out to be crap, I'll just flog it off to some Exa fanatic.

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:49 pm 
DumHed
Experienced Roboteer

yeah sounds like a plan Smile

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:50 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

more ass than class but here it is. the FPA fingerprint immobiliser. SHOCK it works Shocked

http://glen.botclips.net/Fiat/Fiat%20FPA

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger