www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

wierd happenings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Author    Thread
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

wierd happenings

can some one explain the folowing phenonom that i have come across.

I was haveing a problem with a certain kid accesing the internet when told not to

if i unplug any thing he finds it and reconects it .

I have one of those old type phone conectors on the wall that has 3 long plastic prongs with metal strips each side of the prong for conecting i cut 3strips of paper and folded them over the conectors and pluged it back in so it couldnt be seen .....
now the funny part

I dont have a phone conection the multi meter tells me that there is no conection but the broad band reconects as if there is no problem ..is the broad band signal so high that it the paper is only acting as a low/high pass filter ..???

It hasnt even affected the speed and i am currently surfing the net and checking the forums whilst it should technicaly be disconected .

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:40 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Two metal plates with a thin piece of paper between them is effectively a capacitor.

Capacitors in series are low-pass filters. If the frequency is high enough, or the capacitance is large enough, then a signal will get through.

ADSL signalling frequencies are from 25Khz up to 1104Khz and are designed to be adapatible to various signal-strength and noise environments, so enough of the HF signal must be getting through for it to work..

Interesting possibiltes. I wonder if it would be possible to piggyback on an adsl signal from the cable by making a fitting that went over it and iductively coupled enough of the signal that you wouldnt need access to the end-jack ?

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Hi thougth you might be lurking just sent you an e mail

yes i definatly dont have any physical conection so its doing the capatance thing

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:52 am 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

i dont know how to check for internet speed but it apears to be running a lot faster as well ...ie opening web pages ect a lot faster but that might be because the kids a re playing games and not useing it Very Happy

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:54 am 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

dont know about that, to read the signal a certain amount of energy is needed, if you capacativly or inductivley couple something to it your going to bother the signal at the other end a notacible amount i would think.
Nothing stopping you using some sort of high impedance probe and an amp though, If you went with the amp setup you could probbly do the capacative or inductive coupling.

hmmm actually, the signal is differential i believe so i dont think there would be enough signal outside the cable to pick anything up, otherwise it'd be crosstalking with all the other ADSL's in the street.

That also explains why its working with the insulators, the capactance of the plug means that enough current is being pushed or pulled through the isolation transformer in the modem to make signal. Hey if it works good you might as well keep it that way lol for the extra protection from lightning.
Though it may not do the modem any favours in terms of drive power.

If your really keen you can log into most modems and they will tell you their signal strength and such like.

If you use one of the old style plugs it probbly wont work any more because they dont have as large a surface area.

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

The old style plug im useing has a huge surface area on each contact i re did the conections with the paper 3 times and definatly dont have a physical conection i was starting to get frustrated as i was sure the paper wasnt geting torn and it had a full coverage of the metalstrips on each conector
picking up the phone reasured me that it wasnt working and the multi meter told me no volts on a/c and dc scales so im guesing it a high frequancy signal that is geting through . the ectra lightning proteciton idea is ok but it means the phone is dead when the paper is in there lol

that might be a slight prob for any one trying to ring me

Last edited by Totaly_Recycled on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:16 pm 
ffej
Experienced Roboteer

Id say its more likely its just not insulated (eg the plug tore holes in the paper as it went through) and your meter is doing stupid things because of the HF ADSL on the line.

C'mon, Occam's razor people lol

ffej.net

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

the paper is just wraped over the conectors thay are about 3mm wide and about 8 mm long on each side on the pins and are smooth the plug slides into Y type openg that also has smooth conecton strips so the paper was just slideing in easily i made the paper wider then the metal so itwas also covering some of the plastic on the pin either side of the metal i just removed them again and none of them are torn they are jsut U shaped pieces of paper over the large pins

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:23 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

there still should be a straight DC voltage though because the phone people supply power that way.
try it without the paper and see.

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

Unsolder the wires inside the 3 pin connector Cool

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:00 pm 
prong
Experienced Roboteer

Thats kind of a permanent solution Razz

Why not just hide the cable?

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:03 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

why dont you sell the kid Razz everybody wins haha jk

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

The phone works when i remove the paper Laughing the idea was to have a hidden disconection for the internet at the time but some how it kept working but the phone didnt lol

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:46 pm 
NMO
Experienced Roboteer

I'm sure you'd be able to find a free app on the internet that add's password protection, some software firewalls might do this. IE no password then no connection to port 80 (web traffic) that would block surfing, etc.

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:58 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Log into the Broadband router, and isolate said kids ethernet connection. Still be able to share files over the network, but the internet will magically not work Cool

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:02 pm