www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Dogs

Author    Thread
timmeh
Experienced Roboteer

Dogs

Couldent find a thread on dogs so yeah lol Laughing

Question help with teaching my 10 week old staffodshire bull terrier not to bite dont get me wrong i want to be able to play with it and roughf it up a little and dont mind if she she kinda softly play chews but shes just allways nipping me where ever i walk on the legs or go to pat her my arms look like an emo's with all the little scratches iv tryed everything i can think of but punishment she thinks im playing?

Help? Confused

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:14 pm 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Stun Gun or Railgun! Laughing

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:40 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I dont know about Dogs, but Water Pistols or a squirt-bottle make a great non-painful training aid for cats. They hate getting squirted and learn pretty quick not to do whatever got them squirted. You could try it.

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:46 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

one answer is probably to just stop doing whatever it was that caused the dog to bite and totally ignore the fact that it did. Ie if yer walking fast stop and totally ignore the dog.
don't scold it or anything just stop it at that moment (if it hasn't let go) and just face away from it, give it the cold shoulder.
Then reward good behavior if the dog walks next to you without biting prase, pats etc (but don't roughhouse or it'll get the wrong idea.)

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

Imitating the behaviour of adult dogs in training pups is useful. An example of this is the short sharp growl noise to tell the pup to stop doing whatever it is doing. A small gentle shake of the scruff of the neck is also a way the adult dogs correct their young.

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:15 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Wow....

Some good comments from Brett, Jake & Philip. Our animal husbandry team here at work actually advise dog owners similar things. Other methods to disciplining an animal with out physically harming them.

Love the water pistol idea Brett, will try it myself the next time my cat decides walking on my car with muddy feet is fun Twisted Evil

***Builds CO2 pressurised supasoaker***

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:21 am 
Nexus
Experienced Roboteer

Just take it for a long drive to the country and dig a big hole, actually make the dog dig the hole and talk about the giant kennel in the sky.

Just kidding, I like jakes idea the best, just ignore the dog, turn your back and suddenly the dog is alone and not playing and realises the connection between what its done and you leaving it alone.
Dogs want to please you, even the four legged type so by stopping the fun the dog will get the message.

Verbal reinforcement at the same time helps as well, an OUCH before you leave teachs him as well so eventually he will understand just from the word.

The only concern with the water pistol idea is that someone will probably rob your house with a small pink and yellow water pistol.

BTW be patient with your training and remember its still a pup and dont loose your cool or your temper.

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:55 am