www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

Own this Playstation 3 and earn it!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Author    Thread
Wazio88

quote:
Originally posted by TDT:
Yes, I have played a PS3. I had a go at one in the EB Games stores. I played Need For Speed: Carbon, a game I have played on X360, PC and now PS3. To me, the game had the same visual and audio quality of the Xbox360, when compared to my PC, I found no difference at stock resolution. With the PC I increased it up to 1280 x 960 before my GFX card started to lag a bit here and there (Probably the Anti-Ailiasing). So I could have bought a $500 Xbox360 to play NFS Carbon for the same visual and audio experience or just played it on my $1200, 2 year old computer, which pisses it in just the same, and only slows down when I exceed the resolution of both PS3 and Xbox...

I have played the xbox 2 and I was really happy with it. They have some cool games out for that where as the PS3 dont have many games out now. But I dont play it THAT much, by the time I beat one they have had more than enough time to make new ones. The main thing that sold me was that I can still play my old fave games that I have had for years!

quote:

Now, maybe I shouldn't have just plainly said the PS3 was crap Razz But from the perspective of gamer who has lived on both Console and PC, PS3 really disappointed me, I was expecting some good things from Sony, especially after the awesomeness that was the PS2. Now, to cover some of your other comments, PC's plug up to TV's just as quick as a PS3 these days. I frequently use mine to watch Bot videos, DVD's and for the odd game. PS3 rushed in with a motion controller after Nintendo demo'd theirs 6 months before at E3... And AFAIK, there haven't been any games released that take advantage of such a device (If you can correct me and show me a game, I'll be interested in chasing up some reviews for it).

To the Joe shmo who playes games when friends come over and for a few hours on the weekend it is great! I am not a gamer or anything like that so I dont know that if you run a XP029483 that can handle 1.21 gigwatts and power the small country of Kazickstan that you will have the best thing ever. But again like I said, to a jo billy bob its great! Maybe it is not the best. Blazing Angles has the motion control. I have yet to use it, but looks cool enough.

quote:

One of the things that pisses me off the most about Sony right now is their utter lack of respect for the consumer. The outragous prices followed by the lack of supply for a demand they knew was there. It seems the new generation of consoles means more about emptying your wallet and getting shit all for it.... Only Nintendo have managed to keep at a sane price level, but they are lacking some of the high quality games like DOA and Gran Turismo. Where they are branching is a new direction, which we'll eventually see whether it's the right direction... So far it's looking good for them sales wise, out numbering the PS3 3:1 in sales, but still miles behind X360

I'll agree with ya! They HAD to know that people would want this thing. Why not turn up the speed on the line down in china that makes the things!?!?! Here in the USA at least the mass of people are still not able to get them. The only reason I got mine was because I put my name on a list a long time ago and put half down on it. BTW mine was only $600 is it 1000 for yall?

quote:

Everyone has their own preference and opinion as you said, this is just mine from the perspective of a gamer, who seeks value for his money. LOL @ the JR comment, Swayzio, when you dump all your gas out of your pneumatics onto the arena floor, you'll make a fire hazard!!!!!!!11111ELEVENTEEN!!! Laughing

LMAO! I almost shot the soda I was drinking out my nose! HAHAHAHAHA
But I am just talking from a person who is just a 'Play Station'/normal non gamer guy who is happy with what he got. Not trying to razz ya or anything, just talking from the other side of the coin.

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

so put your computer next to the tv and play that?
PS3 emulator wont take too long ;->
I am playing Supreme Commander in 1080P on my 37" TV (Pyrod 37" ~$1600 w00t go kmart)

there is an 8 way AMD board (well 2) and quad core AMD's do exist ;->

haven't seen an ATX 8 socket Intel board yet.

The multiprocessing you describe isn't good enough. thats just multi threading, as a rule one item will be far more demanding than pretty much all of the others put together IE graphics.
Parallelism needs to be designed in from the start.
your physics engine should run on as many processors as you have available. Got 16 cores? whats the point with a game that only has 4 threads.

That part of python kinda sucks at the moment and it bugs me. It has threading but the execution of python dosen't thread, if your python calls an external C function that will work properly but two maths intensive functions in python wont take advantage of multiple cores.

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
quad core AMD's do exist ;->

I hope your not trying to pass AMD 4X4 as an quad Laughing Barcelona is the first native Quad Core processor from AMD AFAIK. If you know something I don't, please explain Cool

quote:
haven't seen an ATX 8 socket Intel board yet.

Embarassed yes, my maths is slipping... 4 x 4 is not 32..... or is it... Laughing argh... put my foot in that one.. shoulda read it a second time Laughing

quote:
The multiprocessing you describe isn't good enough. thats just multi threading, as a rule one item will be far more demanding than pretty much all of the others put together IE graphics.
Parallelism needs to be designed in from the start.
your physics engine should run on as many processors as you have available. Got 16 cores? whats the point with a game that only has 4 threads.

Just needs more underpants gnomes Wink

quote:
But I am just talking from a person who is just a 'Play Station'/normal non gamer guy who is happy with what he got. Not trying to razz ya or anything, just talking from the other side of the coin.

Swayzio, wasn't taking any of it personal Very Happy S'all good. The PS3 is $1000 here because of Exchange rates and stuff... Premiums that stores put on and taxes.... $1000 to me is a fortnights pay... OR a hell of a lot of bot parts Laughing

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:13 pm 
Valen
Experienced Roboteer

or a baseline conroe system ;->

I must be mistaken then, i thought they had quad cores out.

Post Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Knightrous
Site Admin

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=5343608704156791739

I couldn't resist Laughing

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:44 am 
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

SHOW PS3 OR BUST. Sad I want to know its reeel. Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:02 am 
Wazio88

Dumb... what a waste. I doubt it was even in the box...

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Wazio88:
Dumb... what a waste. I doubt it was even in the box...

Yeah, I agree... I don't think anyone would be that stupid.... Then again, there was that dumbass who crashed a Bugatti...

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:27 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

I saw a video where a bloke bought a PS3 on the first day in the US and smashed it with a sledge hammer in front of everyone else who were still waiting in the line.

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:59 pm 
Ali

This one Philip ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CTy7Nx0oPI

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:35 pm 
Philip
Experienced Roboteer

That is the one. I saw a much shorter version the first time.

I guess you would have to call that performance art.

Post Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:05 pm