www.robowars.org

RoboWars Australia Forum Index -> Off-Topic

The Official RoboWars.org Linux Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Author    Thread
dyrodium
Experienced Roboteer

Seems to me that they targeted their efforts on vista though, but that's understandable because everyone hates it. Razz
Yeah mac going first seems pretty fail... Laughing

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Post Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:05 pm 
Totaly_Recycled
Experienced Roboteer

Its really weird watching win xp doing a defrag in the middle of the ubuntu desk top Shocked

have been playing around with virtual box running in seamless mode Very Happy its quite interesting

how do i add a screen shot??

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:42 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

Just found a really nice article on installing Ubuntu and understanding how it works when you've grown up in the sheltered life as a Windows user. This has to be the best Tom's Hardware article I've seen in years!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ubuntu-linux-guide,2293.html

Come to the Open Source side, we have cookies Wink

Post Fri May 22, 2009 11:09 am 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

I started looking at that article, but c'mon guys..

a *17* page article, with 2-3 paragraphs and a screen shot or two per page, surrounded by 2000 ads, the same comments on each page and no single page version ?

I'm not wading through 17 pages of crap to find a nugget or two of useful information.

Pity, it looked like quite a good article otherwise.
TomsHardware used to be a good site..

Post Fri May 22, 2009 11:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Spockie-Tech:
TomsHardware used to be a good site..

Yes, once upon a 2005. I find myself on Phoronix and Ars Technica a lot these days.

Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:54 pm 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

is it possible to install ubuntu on an external hard drive and run it off that when i want or is it gunna be as slow as a wet week.

flat out dont have the hdd space for ubuntu this time Shocked

Post Fri May 22, 2009 1:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:
is it possible to install ubuntu on an external hard drive and run it off that when i want or is it gunna be as slow as a wet week.

Via USB, yes it will be slow. If your laptop has E-SATA, it should be fine.

quote:
Originally posted by Glen:

flat out dont have the hdd space for ubuntu this time Shocked

Buy a bigger HDD, they make like 500GB ones for laptops now Razz

Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:07 pm 
seanet1310

i was running ubuntu off an external usb hdd.
Bootup time was about 8seconds slower then internal HDD.
Performance was fine for low resource applications.
I would say its fine if you where only using ubuntu as a backup when windows packs it in. Just remember it will be slow going if you are backing up your laptops HDD to the external hdd that ubuntu is running off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Post Fri May 22, 2009 2:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Knightrous
Site Admin

Just installed Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx), only took 20mins for a whole install (including drivers, network config and favourite programs not in the repository). Boot up time has definitely been improved, loading through bios and typing my username and password in is the slowest part of booting up!

Just having a fiddle with Qwibber and a few other new programs Smile

Post Sat May 01, 2010 1:45 pm 
assassin

Sorry windows 7 is too good. bye bye ubuntu.

Post Sat May 01, 2010 8:10 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Interesting comment.

"Windows 7 is too good" - you mean "Vista Service Pack 2" actually works like Vista should have in the first place ? Now where have I heard that before ??

And you can forgoe the "information wants to be free, and here let me help you with that.." community mentalities for the ... "oh you need X antivirus 2011 with trashscan-2010" run twice weekly to keep safe, annd "oh, you wanted to make PDF's ? Ka-Ching, another $399 please" and the "be careful where you tread " when browsing, or you never know what nasties you might bring home,

vs, driving an invulnerable tank feeling while browsing/downloading, an operating system that has been confirmed by freelance IT techs to result in less call-outs per seat (less business for them) once in and running, that never slows down with age, and has no hidden areas that you cant poke around in if your interest goes that way ?
But does need you know a bit beyond the point-n-drool interface on occasion.

Well, everyones is entitled to different tastes I suppose..

But unless that was just flamebait (quite likely), you'll need something a bit better reasoned than "is just too good" to back up your assertions if you want any respect for your opinion.

Best is VirtualBOX or vmware.. Have the best of all worlds then, I can boot Win98, XP, OS-X, Win 7 or whatwever I like without leaving the comfort of my own Mandriva Desktop.

Post Sun May 02, 2010 5:51 am 
assassin

Like most people I have less and less time these days. I just need an OS that "Works" and now I believe Microsoft have done that with win7.

I think its software compatibility and I need to provide limited support for it daily are the two main reasons I use it @ the moment. Maybe once I've learnt its in and outs, I'll try a different OS again.

I was ready to ditch Windows forever before Win7, but it was a pleasant surprise when I started using it.

Post Sun May 02, 2010 7:35 am 
Knightrous
Site Admin

quote:
Originally posted by assassin:
Like most people I have less and less time these days. I just need an OS that "Works" and now I believe Microsoft have done that with win7.

That's pretty much the reason I have stuck with Ubuntu for so long now, it just works. I haven't bother trying many other distributions of linux because Ubuntu just does everything I need and it's so easy to work with. Gone are the old days of having kernel updates breaking my virtual machines or display drivers, which were a constant pain in the ass back in the Ubuntu 7.xx - 8.xx days. The issue I had with Ubuntu gaming is pretty null now because I'm pretty much out of gaming these days, I can't justify the time. However there is still a bunch of cool opensource games that run on Ubuntu and Windows fine (well, my laptop on XP didnt go so well, but I'll put that down to the laptop Razz)

I ran Win7 Beta for 3 months and I had a mixed bag experience. They have sorted out a lot of things that shitted me off with windows in general, but there is still a lot of things that cause headaches. Win Explorer still does it's retarded freeze and crash at random times. BSOD's still happen. iTunes was a fkn disaster, i dont know who to blame more, windows or apple for the fail it gave me. It uses a stupid amount of RAM (800MB in my experience.) just to load at desktop and it has over 100 processes running in the background all the time.

The other issue with Winny 7 I don't like is because of it's bloated use of resources, it's not a very good candidate for running in virtual machines. I'll be running a stripped down XP in virtual box for many years to come for my iTunes and Solidworks needs. XP only needs 1Gb (1/4) of my system memory to run happily without freezing or slowing down. XP also runs awesomely faster in virtualbox then any pc I've had it running on Razz

I guess the best thing out of all of this is the fact that we have plenty of options these days, it's no longer a Win monopoly (unless you want it to be)

Post Sun May 02, 2010 10:17 am 
Glen
Experienced Roboteer

quote:
Originally posted by assassin:
Sorry windows 7 is too good. bye bye ubuntu.

lmfao. as soon as i read that i was just waiting for the foaming diatribe to spew forth

Post Sun May 02, 2010 12:01 pm 
Spockie-Tech
Site Admin

Heh, I suspected as much, which is why I mentioned that I suspected it was obvious Flame-Bait. Smile

But seriously, you cant just make unsupported comments like that in a forum full of tech-heads without expecting some backlash.

In the bigger picture - (beyond those "users" who dont give a shit about anything except that their computer works when they want it to and is easy to use).. -

Open Source Operating Systems and Software are being seriously looked at by more and more governments around the world, since they have a responsibility to store masses of data and ensure that it is *readable* 15 years down the track.

Remember that 20 years ago, the Commodore 64 was king for the average user. Of course, you have a current way to read and convert those commodore 64 tapes and disks available off-the-shelf now ? No, I thought not.

One of my clients who works at a library had to pay *thousands* just to get some ancient Macintosh database application files read and converted into something useable today.

In another 20 years, Microsoft *might* just be a bad memory (its happened to plenty of big computer companies before), and I pity anyone trying to open a Word95 documents to write a history book or something in the future. Give me a 1970's unix file, and I bet you I will have it opened and useable within minutes.

Most of you probably dont remember the .gif format patent controversy (that led to .png) in the 90's, when Unisys/Compuserve started trying to charge royalties on a format that had been free-to-use for years already. Again, Open-Source mostly avoids "submarine patents" (that lurk out-of-sight for years, then pop up and launch attacks) like that from springing up on you unawares.

So, while all *you* might care about right now is that your "Internet-Thingy" works the way you expect it to from your last computer, there is much more going on here over longer periods of time than the Fanboy-powered "X-Operating Systems, Rox, Y O/S Sux" thing.

Keeping a secret of exactly how parts of a universal tools insides work, that is used for so many things these days is a *bad* idea on many levels, not just because Fanboys like to stir each other.

Think about that next time you wave your favourite-proprietary-brand Team's Flag.

Last edited by Spockie-Tech on Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Sun May 02, 2010 9:59 pm